Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

advpack.dll issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Redhawk05

Redhawk05

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

I uninstalled C++ 2005 redistributable package (x86) because of a suggestion I read online to mod a game called Morrowind, and now I am trying to mod Witcher 1, and it is trying to install that same C++ 2005 package again. It;s a Steam game, so it detected it was missing. When I go to install it again, I get an error messge "windows/system32\advpack.dll error, or can't be found". So it won't let me reinstall the package. I also downloaded it separately from microsoft.com, and tried to reinstall it, and got the same message..

Any suggestions?

Thank you. 

Dave

Attached Files

Edited by Redhawk05, 23 July 2018 - 09:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:15 PM

Try these commands in command prompt as administrator :  dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

and sfc /scannow   (you don't sound like someone I have to explain, how to run as administrator, to.)

Edited by Mason21, 23 July 2018 - 09:39 PM.

#3 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

If those two steps don't correct the issue, there remains this option:  

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 856 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

Hi, you can only do this from within a working windows system, and you have to be cautious. I would not use the method demonstrated in the Video, notice the comments and the problems, particularly if it errors with this image or version is not suitable for this update (or similar) The result can be that you lose windows activation, and this is not funny.

So to do this properly use the downloaded media from the media creation site, use a 16 gb thumbdrive (ms say 8+gb I recommend the 16) You do not need the ISO just the straight download boot to windows and put in your Thumbdrive, select Setup.exe.

You get the options to remove everything OR keep all files and apps (which does work) only problem is classic shell is going to give you problems and many registry mod's will be removed (if you have made them), Cortana will populate the task manager, if you have disabled it, services you don't want will be back, this is also true of a clean install, you need to do some tweaking afterwards that's all, so it's not perfect, it will however give you the latest version, and fix most update problems.

Warning we do this with caution (and we know what we are doing) an image backup beforehand is a good idea, if it fails you will have no activation and problems getting it back.

#5 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:48 PM

Excellent

#6 Redhawk05

Redhawk05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

I did the reinstall from the YouTube video. I had already started it before Jenae's post.

It didn't help, the C++ version Steam tries to install to run Witcher 1 still can't install because of the advpack.dll error. So it didn't fix anything.

Any more ideas? Should I try the install from downloading the ISO to a thumbdrive, or do you think that will yield the same results, and I have some other issue going on?

Thank you. 

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

Hi Redhawk05
This may be worth a shot instead of reinstalling Windows 10

Windows 10 holds a backup of 2 advpack.dll files in the %windir%\WinSxS folder

The 2 advpack.dll files are of different sizes. in different folders similar to the following examples under the %windir%\WinSxS folder
%windir%\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-advpack_ followed by a long series of numbers.
%windir%\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-advpack_ followed by a long series of numbers.

If you are willing, It is possible the advpack.dll can be recovered and restored using the following steps...

1. Create 2 folders on your desktop Name folder 1: dll_amd64, name folder 2: dll_wow64.
Note: These folders will be used to save the found advpack.dll files.

2. Open File Explorer > Open the Windows Folder

3. Using the search dialogue box at the top right, search advpack.dll (Multiple items will be found. You may ignore Type: MUI Files.)

4. From the list right click the advpack.dll file located in the %windir%\WinSxS\amd64 folder and copy/paste to the dll_amd64 folder on your desktop.

5. From the list right click the advpack.dll file located in the %windir%\WinSxS\wow64 folder and copy/paste to the dll_wow64 folder on your desktop.

Note: If you need to remove the old advpack.dll files it may require the program unlocker found here: http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

6. If applicable, remove the old advpack.dll file from the %windir%\System32 folder

7. If applicable, remove the old advpack.dll file from the %windir%\SysWoW folder

8. Copy/Paste advpack.dll from the desktop dll_amd64 folder to %windir%\System32 folder

9. Copy/Paste advpack.dll from the desktop dll_wow64 folder to %windir%\SysWoW folder

10. Open an administrative command prompt and type the following lines pressing Enter after each line.

10a. %windir%\System32\regsvr32.exe /u Advpack.dll

10b. %windir%\SysWoW64\regsvr32.exe /i Advpack.dll

11. Reboot your system

I hope you were successful restoring the advpack.dll files and your issue is resolved!

Old Rocker

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 856 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:27 PM

Hi, old rockers suggestion is worth a try, however you ran sfc\scannow and it references the winsxs folder for dll's. My fear is that this is a developers modified version, the reinstall of windows would have replaced the winsxs dll repository with MS versions.

Download the program again and see if you can locate the dll and move it to system32.

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 856 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:41 AM

Hi, If you are still having problems you can extract a copy of the dll from a windows image, you need 7-zip and the process is relatively simple, if you wish, let us know and we can assist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users