Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't print from Word or most websites

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 digital-idiot

digital-idiot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:19 PM

Hello, I'm new here. I've started filling out my profile but my user name pretty much covers it. :(

I don't know when this started because I so rarely use Word but I need to print out a label I've created and can't. I've searched these forums but can't find anything that would help.

My printer - HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-One) - is shown in devices and set as default. (It's the only printer I have.)

I have updated my printer driver.

All cartridges have ink.

I have run printer maintenance and cleaned the print heads.

I can print out the 10-Day forecast from The Weather Channel and it's perfect. But if I try to print anything from Word or Wordpad, newly created or from file, all I get is a blank page or, if there's a link on the page, that will print in blue but nothing else. If I try to print something from a web page, like a recipe with a 'Print' option, it will print out just the header or title but nothing else.

Has anyone here had this problem? Any ideas?

TIA for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

do you have firefox installed?

if you do you need to go into the setting and turn off hardware exceleration.

open options

then under general setting almost all the way at the bottom is a box for hardware acceleration when available, uncheck it and restart the browser then see if it will print.

it's a weird problem and you wouldn't think firefox would cause it but it does most of the time.

let us know if this fixes your problem.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:13 PM

In Word and Wordpad have you selected the Photosmart as the default printer ?

You do this in the printing control panel, either 'File - print' or 'Ctrl + P' will bring this up. Check that the application is seeing the Photosmart.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 digital-idiot

digital-idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

THANK YOU both for the replies. I've been too busy to get back to this until now - running back & forth to use a friend's printer and still meet my deadlines. 

I'm using Edge as a browser. But the problem is the same in both Firefox and Chrome, even after turning off hardware acceleration.

My printer shows as default under devices and when I 'Ctrl + P' in Word. BUT when I click the 'Find Printer' box I get a little window saying

"The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable."

Think that's the problem? What the heck is it?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

This crops up from time to time and my memory did serve me right, it is down to the print spooler service. Have a look at this link -

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-active-directory-domain-services-currently-unavailable-error-printer/

If it doesn't work, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 digital-idiot

digital-idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:03 PM

Sigh . . .

Printer spooler was already running. I clicked 'Restart' just in case, tried to print and got a blank page. 

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:40 PM

Time to try the basic immediate action drill !  Uninstall and re-install the printer !

Type 'Control panel' into your search box, it should appear at the top in blue and click on it to open it. In the top right corner of the panel you will see 'View by', use the arrow and select 'Small icons' then click on the entry 'Programs and features'. Give the list of software a moment or two to populate then select any entries for HP Photosmart (one at a time) and click 'Uninstall' at the heading of the list. Once you have done this close control panel and open 'File Explorer' and delete any left over files and folders connected to HP Photosmart. You will find these files and folders (if any) in either 'Program files' or 'Program files (x86)'. Then re-boot and re-install the printer software.

If you don't have the complete software any more download it from the HP web-site along with the 'Quick start' guide. Check the guide about the installation sequence, printers can be fussy about this !

Any more problems, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 01 August 2018 - 05:42 PM.

#8 digital-idiot

digital-idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

Must deal with feeding livestock and spouse right now. Will try immediate action drill in a couple of hours, thanks!  :)

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:32 PM

How is the printer connected to the PC......usb cable ?, wirelessly ?....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:33 AM

Maybe its Word ? settings ?

Open Word , Click Print / then select Default Tab on each above Tab selected.

Just  a thought.

#11 digital-idiot

digital-idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

OK, pretty sure I botched something. I 'Uninstalled' everything HP Photosmart, it restarted itself after several of the uninstalls. Put in the disk that came with the printer and nothing happens. Do I have to do that from the control panel?

Connected via usb cable.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

Ok, you can get the 'Set-up guide' (and the 'Basics Guide') from here -

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-c5100-all-in-one-printer-series/1153538/model/1153539/manuals

Turn off your printer and disconnect the USB lead at whichever end is more convenient. Then click in the search box (Cortana) and type Control then follow my instructions in #7 to uninstall everything to do with HP Photosmart. I don't have an HP printer, we use a Canon, but looking at 'Programs and Features' in my wife's laptop running Win 10 there are two entries for the printer and I would uninstall both. So, in 'Programs and Features' click everything that includes the words 'HP Photosmart' one at a time then click 'Uninstall'. When they are all gone your printer is fully uninstalled, and I defy it to run !  Now re-boot your computer and turn on your printer, but do NOT connect it to the computer.

Now open the set-up guide (a PDF file) on your computer and go to item #13 - 'Choose one connection type' and follow the instructions in your set-up guide from that point on.

If your installation disc doesn't start to run of its own accord then follow the instructions given under heading 'A1' to start it running. Then follow the instructions until you have finished the install. Once the install has finished remove the disc and then re-boot, not strictly necessary but it doesn't do any harm, then see if you can now print from Word etc.

If you still have printing problems, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 digital-idiot

digital-idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

Sure wish I could print out those instructions to follow.  :rolleyes:  Instead I'll make notes and give it another try tomorrow when my brain is more functional and this last deadline is met. (My customers are so annoying - they won't pay me until their stuff is finished.) :P

Thank you for going to all this trouble! I will post back after I have a go at it.

#14 digital-idiot

digital-idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:19 PM

It was the printer.

I tried updating/uninstalling/installing, my computer guy tried everything he could think of and finally gave up. I ended up buying an HP OfficeJetPro 8710 after reading reviews of the ones in my price range. It came today - the stinkin' thing weighs almost as much as I do, thought they'd messed up and sent me an anvil - got her plugged in, set up and all is once again good in my world. Until next SNAFU.

Thanks again for trying to help me with this, it was much appreciated.

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

Glad you got a solution even if wasn't the solution we all hoped for.

I thought they'd messed up and sent me an anvil

That reminds me of the Underwood Portable typewriter that saw me through university. I paid the magnificent sum of £5 for it in a pawn shop. Ribbons had to be loaded onto the reels manually and it was 'Portable' only in the sense that it could be moved by one man instead of requiring a forklift. When I bought a (very) second hand computer I discovered the true joys of Word Processors - they saved a fortune in Typex !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users