Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network & Sharing doesn't recognize my network is private

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 KCav

KCav

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

I have a Home network setup on my Xfinity gateway router.  There are and two computers running Windows 7 Pro connected to the Home network and they shared files and access to the network printer. I would like to add two notebooks running Win 10 Pro to the Home network, when I go to Network and Sharing Center it says my network is a Public network.  How come?  What causes Networking and Sharing under Windows 7 think one way and under Windows 10 another.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:31 PM

I have no idea of what you did when you configured networking in either Windows 7 or Windows 10 so have no conjecture as to why your Win7 machines are configured to recognize your network as private (or, more likely, Home or Work under the terminology used under Windows 7) while Windows 10 recognizes them as public.

I can tell you how to change it in Windows 10.  Presuming you're connected to the network in question, open Settings, Network & Internet, Status pane, Change connection properties link.  Change the radio button under network profile from public to private, 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:46 AM

Thank you for telling me how to change the network setting from Public to Private .  What changes to I need to make so when I click on Network in Windows Explorer my Windows 10  notebooks appear along with the Windows 7  on my Home network?

#4 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:30 AM

Where in Windows 10 can I findout what version of Windows I am running, in Windows 7 it could be found under Administrative Tools/System information?

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:59 AM

In Windows 10, to get info about your current build;

type Win + R. Open up the run command with the Win + R key combo.

Launch winver. Simply type in winver into the run command text box and hit OK.

Here's a guide to help you network all your pc's

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/network-and-sharing-center-overview/

Edited by Joe C, 24 July 2018 - 08:16 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

If all machines, whether Windows 7 or Windows 10, are connected to a given LAN with each recognizing it as "private/work/home" then all should be visible to each other.  You sometimes have to restart the machines for this to take effect.

Don't use Homegroup.  It's been removed from Windows 10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

Where in Windows 10 can I findout what version of Windows I am running, in Windows 7 it could be found under Administrative Tools/System information?

In Run type in Winver & press Enter or click OK.---

screenshot_52.jpg

Windows Key + R to get Run.

Pictures help better than words.

Edited by medab1, 24 July 2018 - 12:18 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

One need not even bother with WinKey+R to run the Windows Version (winver) command.

If you hit the Windows Key and immediately type winver it shows up first in the search results and all you need to do is hit Enter.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

One need not even bother with WinKey+R to run the Windows Version (winver) command.

If you hit the Windows Key and immediately type winver it shows up first in the search results and all you need to do is hit Enter.

I use Classic Shell.

Pressing Windows Key I get this---

screenshot_52.jpg

I type in winver & get this---

screenshot_52.jpg

There are different ways to get winver info.

Each to their own.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

By the way, and I meant to mention it last night, when you're adding a new network under Windows 10 you will be prompted as to whether you want your PC to be discoverable on the network, which means it would be joining a private network.  If you want the network to be considered private hit the Yes button, otherwise to designate it public hit No.

Even the final statement in that prompt dialog pretty clearly gives the analogy that home and work networks (which was the old Win7 and earlier terminology) are private while others are public.  One can join one's own home/work network by choosing the No button but then your machine is isolated from view by the others (and vice versa, so using a wireless printer won't work in that configuration, either).

wifi_new_network_prompt.jpg 

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

Each to their own.

Indeed.  What follows is not a criticism, just a statement about my general practice.

I never assume that any user of any OS is using something like Classic Shell, which has as its express purpose trying to create an artificial environment akin to another OS, when I answer questions.

If someone has elected to do this, and that's just fine if they were, then it's incumbent upon them to make mention of it, as that can change the game considerably.

I simply presume that a Windows 10 user is going to be using the Windows 10 UI unless explicitly told otherwise.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

Each to their own.

Indeed.  What follows is not a criticism, just a statement about my general practice.

I never assume that any user of any OS is using something like Classic Shell, which has as its express purpose trying to create an artificial environment akin to another OS, when I answer questions.

If someone has elected to do this, and that's just fine if they were, then it's incumbent upon them to make mention of it, as that can change the game considerably.

I simply presume that a Windows 10 user is going to be using the Windows 10 UI unless explicitly told otherwise.

I just mentioned Classic Shell in case someone was using it.

I have found that a lot of users don't mention what things they are using.

Hence the reference to Windows Key + R to get the Run box.

#13 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

One can use Task Manager too---

screenshot_52.jpg

screenshot_52.jpg

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Indeed. Microsoft is well known for giving "40 roads to Rome" for virtually any task.

I tend to favor the ones that require the least work (which often means I'll change choice when someone shows me a quicker way I'd known nothing about prior).

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for explaining how to change my my network status from Public to Private and for explaining how to determine what version of Windows 10 I am running. I also appreciate being given directions to "Guide to Network and Sharing Center in Windows 7,8,10."   I still have a problem achieving my goal which is to add PCs  running Windows 10 to my Private network and allow them to share access to storage and a system printer same as the PCs running Windows 7. 

Advanced Sharing Settings under Windows 10 does not have the same information as Windows 7.  Pleas see attached screen snippets.  Can someone explain how this situation could arise. 

Attached Files

Edited by KCav, 26 July 2018 - 09:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users