Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Entry Not Finding Server in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Agrajag

Agrajag

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

For quite some time we've had a media server setup on Windows 10 that has worked flawlessly (more or less). However, after some recent Microsoft updates something changed dramatically that is causing annoyance.

The best way to explain it is to explain what I see:

I load File Explorer and under Network there are several entries under "Computer" at the top of the right content window.

In this case those items are my Son's desktop, the "Media-Server", my desktop and our Nvidia Shield (just called "SHIELD" here).

However, neither the Media-Server link or the link to my son's desktop do anything. In point of fact, the Media-Server link wasn't even showing up until I turned down Windows Firewall (which always seems the be a major thorn in the side when it comes to ease of use). Now that it's there, when I click it it just says, "Windows cannot access \\MEDIA-SEVER". 

I can access the server by manually going to it using the IP address, but that's less than optimal.

I also can't just right-click on Network (under Start menu) and choose Remote Desktop Connection like I used to be able to do. 

Anyone have any ideas what either we or MS changed to screw this up?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users