Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 Map Network Drive BUT don't wake server on File Explorer Load?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Agrajag

Agrajag

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:18 PM

We have a media server at my home and it has two drives on it mapped as F: and G: that originated from my Windows 10 desktop. 

It was most easy to just keep them as F and G on the server (There's also the obvious C which is just the OS and some small utilities) as several of my media programs already point to F and G and updating all that was getting to be a pain (I'm looking at you Media Monkey).

Anyway, what I've done, which works great, is to just Map both of those drives to be F and G on my desktop and, presto, all my desktop apps now find their content right where they "always were".

However, I've run into an unwanted side effect. Obviously I'd like the server to sleep when not in use but find that simply opening File Explorer on the desktop, or opening ANY file dialog in ANY program wakes up the server as it goes to connect to F and G.

Is there a way to connect these drives but only when desired so as to avoid the unintentional wake up?

Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

A batch file would be the easiest way.

@ECHO OFF
CLS
NET USE F: /D /Y
NET USE F: \\SERVER\F$ /PERSISTENT:NO /USER:Account PASSWORD
EXPLORER.EXE F:

This will map the F: drive using the User Account with a password of PASSWORD and can be modified to work with your file share as it is using the Administrative share of the F: drive for the connection.  After mapping the drive it opens it in File Explorer.  By not making it persistent it should go away after the machine is shut down or restarted.  Once the the drive is connected  you'd have the same Sleep issues.

#3 Agrajag

Agrajag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

This will map the F: drive using the User Account with a password of PASSWORD and can be modified to work with your file share as it is using the Administrative share of the F: drive for the connection.  After mapping the drive it opens it in File Explorer.  By not making it persistent it should go away after the machine is shut down or restarted.  Once the the drive is connected  you'd have the same Sleep issues.

Thanks. Unfortunately that won't work the way I was hoping. I was sort of hoping there as some sort of Windows registry setting or something that would allow a network drive to be mapped, but to be entirely passive until specifically selected (say with File Explorer or any file dialogue). Outside of that, it would still appear, but not actually be "awake".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users