Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can I plug speakers into a headphone jack?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

I have a Altec Lansing ATP3 speaker system I want to plug into my LCD TV. Problem is My TV only has digital audio out (won't fit my 3.5mm analogue jack) and a headphone jack.

Can I plug the speakers into the headphone jack? These are self powered speakers (built in amplifier & plugs into AC outlet). Here are the specks for the speakers: https://www.cnet.com/products/altec-lansing-atp3-speaker-system-for-pc-wired-series/specs/

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 23 July 2018 - 05:04 PM.
Moved from General chat to External hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:12 AM

I don't see why not. I just hooked up my computer speakers to my TV, no problem. On my Vizio I can go to the audio menu and disable the TV speakers, you may want to do that. What model of TV is this, by the way?

In the end your TV doesn't care where the signal from the headphone jack goes, likewise your speaker's 3.5mm jack isn't concerned where that signal originated. Let me know how this went.

Edited by Bezukhov, 24 July 2018 - 06:19 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,343 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

Yes it should work

I mean as long as its still 3.5mm jack it should be fine but by any chance its a 6.35 mm jack there are always adapters

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#4 crosssection

crosssection

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

Yes it should work

I mean as long as its still 3.5mm jack it should be fine but by any chance its a 6.35 mm jack there are always adapters

Agree. if it's 3.5mm jack, it should work.

#5 6sixty6

6sixty6

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:47 PM

Yes it will work, thats what I did.

:smilers:

🎅 🎄 🛷 🎁 ⛄

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

It's how my own set-up works.

I have a Goodman's powered speaker system with sub-woofer, originally designed for use with MP3 players. The 40W amp's built-in to the subwoofer. Mains lead, speaker leads, and a 1.5 metre lead with a 3.5 mm jack plug all come out from the back, which is also where the power switch is located. On/off, volume, and sub-bass controls are situated on the front, and the whole thing sits under my bed to one side, with the sub firing back at the wall.

So nowadays, it's plugged into the rear headphone socket on the desktop, via a 3-metre extension lead. It's been working fine like that for at least 5 years & counting.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 July 2018 - 04:44 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users