Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Windows, now what?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vebberim

vebberim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

Hello! I really need some help.

Last night, I went to wake up my computer from sleep mode to find a blue screen, with only two options: Restore, and Cancel. The screen claimed I had failed an Automatic Repair. I was told the power surged earlier in the day, so I'm assuming the surge crashed my PC.

After debating for awhile, I decided to go to the restore point option... only to be welcomed to it a few minutes later. I was stuck in an Automatic Repair loop. After using another laptop to download a Windows 8.1 reinstallation disc (as when I had my PC, it was a digital redemption), I had to re-install Windows on the primary partition. I now have it up and running, after activating my key.

Now, I have a few questions as to my current situation:

1.) Since re-installation, my computer has been acting slow and wonky. Is this normal after a re-installation?

2.) My previous files were saved into a 'Windows.old' folder. Is there a way to read these files and find how my computer failed? Can I use my old files as a way to get my PC back to before the crash?

3.) Since reinstallation, I can no longer connect to WiFi. I used to be able to connect out of the box and a few home moves after, but I don't even have the option anymore. I'm currently running Internet via Ethernet cable. Did my WiFi chip burn out, or is this fixable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:09 AM

In the future get Macrium Reflect (I use the paid version).

Make system images often.

Macrium has help & a support forum.

I just installed a bad Network driver & couldn't resolve the issue.

So I used my latest complete system image to restore to & everything was good to go.

Make system images OFTEN.

Backup !

Backup!

Backup!

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

Did you setup at a network and a connection for this computer after the installation of the operating system?

You can find clear and concise instructions for setting up a network for Windows 8.1 here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

I now have it up and running, after activating my key.

Now, I have a few questions as to my current situation:

1.) Since re-installation, my computer has been acting slow and wonky. Is this normal after a re-installation?

2.) My previous files were saved into a 'Windows.old' folder. Is there a way to read these files and find how my computer failed? Can I use my old files as a way to get my PC back to before the crash?

3.) Since reinstallation, I can no longer connect to WiFi. I used to be able to connect out of the box and a few home moves after, but I don't even have the option anymore. I'm currently running Internet via Ethernet cable. Did my WiFi chip burn out, or is this fixable?

Would you please post the exact Model of this pc, and not the Serial Number.  Windows 8 does not need a product key entered AFAIK. 

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. That is most likey because Windows does not have a Wifi Driver for your hardware, you would need to get this from the OEM's site.

I suspect you may have some issues with your Hard Drive, hopefully not.  Let's run some tests before wasting lot's of time.

WHEN YOU RUN THIS TOOL MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE ANY USB OR SD DRIVES IN THE PC.

1. Download SeaTools for Windows at THIS SITE.  The manuals are first on the list.

2. You can do this two ways:

a. The Bootable Version: "SeaTools Bootable", First one Under "Downloads" which is best if your drive is actually in bad shape.

b. If you don't have another computer just download the Installer called "SeaTools for Windows" fifth down at the bottom under "Downloads"

Use THIS TUTORIAL to run the tool and or create the Bootable Medium.  The tests that we would like you to run are in the last sentence of that tutorial, for either the bootable or installed version.

Edited by pcpunk, 27 July 2018 - 10:00 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:56 AM

Other than the problem with your wifi and the computer running slow and "wonky" you have not mentioned any other problems which would indicate a problem with your ssd/hdd other than what appears to be a possible botched installation which has the possibility of being ssd/hdd related.  Personally I believe that running a scan on the ssd/hdd would be fruitless, but it won't hurt anything to run a scan if you are worried about this possibility.  But there is a much simpler way to test this drive than going through what pcpunk has suggested.  Since you are posting here I'm guessing that have a functioning computer or at least access to one.  This being the case you can download and install SeaTools for Windows on the functioning computer, take the ss/hdd out of the problematic computer and either install it internally or via USB.  SeaTools for Windows will scan the computer for any storage devices, all you need to do is select you drive to be included in the test.  This is just as effective and is much quicker and easier.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

The download loads is a Zip-file, a program like WinZip will be needed to unzip this file.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows.  This will automatically start the download.  

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

As for your wifi, you need to set it up to a wireless network.  You will find a good tutorial with pictures here.

At this point I don't know if you are able to boot into Windows or not from what you have posted.  If you can boot into the operating system you can and should do a Refresh.

How to do a Windows 8.1 Refresh.

A Refresh basically will reinstall the operating system, this will not affect your personal files if you use the option to save them.  The downside is that this will uninstall all of your third party programs you installed.  Windows 8.1 will place a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC, I would suggest that you copy this list for a reference when you go to reinstall these programs.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the I key to open Settings.

In Settings click/tap on Recovery, click/tap on Refresh your PC without affecting your files, then Get Started.

You will see a page titled Refresh you PC, click/tap on Next.  On the next page click/tap on Refresh.

The computer may turn off and back on during this process, you don't need to do anything.  The scan will display a percentage of its completion.

The other option would be to do another fresh installation.

One last question, Is this installation Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users