Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resurrecting The Pentium!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PoorGuy94

PoorGuy94

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:07 AM

Hello friends!

Thank you for having me Bleeping Computer! Looking forward to Bleep with you!  :busy:

Quick background: For the past years, I've been using friends pc's for all my needs (gaming, working,              studying...etc)

but now I need my own pc, unfortunately, I'm broke, so my only option is upgrading my old pc

that hasn't been used in eons.

Old PC Specs in these screen shots in the link: wikisend.com/download/667680/Untitled-1.jpg

The Plan...

My plan is to get a 8gb RAM so it would be 10gb RAM in total and an nVidia GeForce GT430 graphic card, would that boost the performance? I am talking about a PC that boot in 15 seconds or less and runs seseamlessly and runs designing programs and classic games, maybe even some of the new online games.

As for the graphic card: The reason I chose this graphic card is because my friend has it and it runs very smooth on his pc, the label on his graphic card says 4gb but after looking online, all the results I found said 1gb, did the 4gb version get extinct or does the 1gb become 4gb using PC RAM? (I never understood how that works..)

There also seems to be a power problem, I have a Maxima 1500 UPS that powers 2 PS consoles and 2 screens and works perfectly, I unplugged the consoles and the screens and plugged the system only, when I unplug the UPS from the main power source the system shuts down or occasionally restarts, any idea on what might cause such a problem? 

Any advice would be highly appreciated, thank you guys!  :heart: 

Edited by PoorGuy94, 23 July 2018 - 07:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,399 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

GT430 has 1 GB memory on board. It may use system memory too but it's very slow.

UPS problem may be because batteries are too old.

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

The link you provided loops back directly to this thread. "Old PC Specs in these screen shots in the link: wikisend.com/download/667680/Untitled-1.jpg"

Check/Correct the link you provided.

"my only option is upgrading my old pc that hasn't been used in eons."

It would be helpful if you would post your computer specs.....Make, Model, Processor, RAM, Current OS, etc.

See if you can narrow down "Eons" to something a bit more specific like months, years, age of computer etc.  

"The reason I chose this graphic card is because my friend has it and it runs very smooth on his pc."

It may very well run great in your friend's computer, that however doesn't mean it would in yours.

Again, knowing a bit more about your computer will help us help you.

Edited by saw101, 23 July 2018 - 03:01 PM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 PoorGuy94

PoorGuy94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:17 AM

The link you provided loops back directly to this thread. "Old PC Specs in these screen shots in the link: wikisend.com/download/667680/Untitled-1.jpg"

Check/Correct the link you provided.

"my only option is upgrading my old pc that hasn't been used in eons."

It would be helpful if you would post your computer specs.....Make, Model, Processor, RAM, Current OS, etc.

See if you can narrow down "Eons" to something a bit more specific like months, years, age of computer etc.  

"The reason I chose this graphic card is because my friend has it and it runs very smooth on his pc."

It may very well run great in your friend's computer, that however doesn't mean it would in yours.

Again, knowing a bit more about your computer will help us help you.

Hey what the hell, it does loop back to this thread :o , but it works if you copy the url and past it

http://wikisend.com/download/667680/Untitled-1.jpg 

I just tried it and it worked, all the details about the system are in that picture file, I used a software that shows all the specs and took screen shots of it and put them in one file, you just have to download it from wikisend and zoom  :thumbsup2:

As for the computer's age, I'd say like a decade or less..

#5 PoorGuy94

PoorGuy94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:28 AM

GT430 has 1 GB memory on board. It may use system memory too but it's very slow.

UPS problem may be because batteries are too old.

The label on his graphic card says "GF-GT 430-DVI-VGA-HDMI-SDDR3-4GB-PCIE"

If the graphic card is 4gb I reckon it would be more than enough for my needs, I just cant find it online...

As for UPS, I changed the batteries last month with 2 brand new Mercury batteries, and I tested them, they work great..

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,399 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

Working link http://wikisend.com/download/667680/Untitled-1.jpg

It seems some manufacturers decided to put 4GB memory to GT430. However card is so slow that 4GB model is not faster than 1GB model (except on some rare cases where card is too slow anyway) so that's mostly marketing BS.

If not batteries, then it sounds like UPS is not switching fast enough to battery use when main power is shut down. So your UPS is too slow or PSU cannot handle that short power outage.

#7 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

The Plan...

My plan is to get a 8gb RAM so it would be 10gb RAM in total and an nVidia GeForce GT430 graphic card, would that boost the performance? I am talking about a PC that boot in 15 seconds or less and runs seamlessly and runs designing programs and classic games, maybe even some of the new online games.

Asrock G31M-S motherboard specs: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-S/#Support

Your board has 2 RAM slots & will only support a maximum of 8GB RAM. 2x4GB Sticks.

I doubt you would get a 15 second or less boot by upgrading RAM. Faster boot times better achieved with a SSD.

As regards the video card....you could certainly do better. Not likely you would find a new GT430. Look to the used market, eBay etc. I have no specific recommendations.

Overall, I'd give serious thought as to the age of your system & it's aged components, before investing any substantial $$ in it. An upgrade of RAM, Video Card & possibly a SSD would quickly exceed the current used value of your near decade old system & you do mention that you are "unfortunately broke."  You most likely be better served with a new or newer computer. I would shop the market place for used computers in your local area. Ideally you would want some 'Hands On' before forking over $$. Reputable sellers will allow that.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#8 PoorGuy94

PoorGuy94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:07 AM

Working link http://wikisend.com/download/667680/Untitled-1.jpg

It seems some manufacturers decided to put 4GB memory to GT430. However card is so slow that 4GB model is not faster than 1GB model (except on some rare cases where card is too slow anyway) so that's mostly marketing BS.

If not batteries, then it sounds like UPS is not switching fast enough to battery use when main power is shut down. So your UPS is too slow or PSU cannot handle that short power outage.

Define slow? I mean it ran photoshop at the same time while running league of legends at full options, that's enough for me personally, I will be doing some light designing on it, working on web and occasional light online gaming 

As for power problem, any idea on good PSU I should buy? 

#9 PoorGuy94

PoorGuy94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:21 AM

The Plan...

My plan is to get a 8gb RAM so it would be 10gb RAM in total and an nVidia GeForce GT430 graphic card, would that boost the performance? I am talking about a PC that boot in 15 seconds or less and runs seamlessly and runs designing programs and classic games, maybe even some of the new online games.

Asrock G31M-S motherboard specs: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-S/#Support

Your board has 2 RAM slots & will only support a maximum of 8GB RAM. 2x4GB Sticks.

I doubt you would get a 15 second or less boot by upgrading RAM. Faster boot times better achieved with a SSD.

As regards the video card....you could certainly do better. Not likely you would find a new GT430. Look to the used market, eBay etc. I have no specific recommendations.

Overall, I'd give serious thought as to the age of your system & it's aged components, before investing any substantial $$ in it. An upgrade of RAM, Video Card & possibly a SSD would quickly exceed the current used value of your near decade old system & you do mention that you are "unfortunately broke."  You most likely be better served with a new or newer computer. I would shop the market place for used computers in your local area. Ideally you would want some 'Hands On' before forking over $$. Reputable sellers will allow that

I did a quick round at the market today and found out that 4gb RAM + GT 430 GPU + 500W Axtrom PSU would cost approx $100, but I didnt get them because of your reply, any other decent PC costs $300+, I didn't consider an SSD because I have like 4 HDD's laying around, I would install the system on one making it only one partition and save everything else on the other, voila, problem solved  :graduate:

I will get the stuff next time I go, for the meantime any further advice you can give is highly appreciated, and thanks for sharing your expertise with me Saw101

P.S I do recall having a Radeon graphic card installed on my pc from many years ago, but it's not there, I asked my brother and he mentioned taking pc to maintenance years ago, that maintenance sob stole my Radeon graphic card1?!!?? Shows what happens when you leave a PC with someone who's not familiar with the technology and a preying maintenance thief.... 

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,399 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

Define slow? I mean it ran photoshop at the same time while running league of legends at full options, that's enough for me personally, I will be doing some light designing on it, working on web and occasional light online gaming 

As for power problem, any idea on good PSU I should buy?

That GPU is slow. No matter if it has 0,5GB, 1GB, 4GB or 16GB memory, it's still slow. Might be OK for uses like that however.

Virtually any good quality PSU will do. You probably can find something like Fortron/FSP 350W cheaply.

That Radeon might have saved some money. Bad luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users