Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think this mobo is dead, but I cant be sure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Liamza2314

Liamza2314

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:18 AM

Hi all, my name is Liam

My friend brought a computer to me, he said if you can get it running it's yours and from seeing the internals it looks better than my current pc

Im not 100% sure of the specs but this is what i know

Ram - 4gb DDR2, two 2gb modules, 1 elpida and one I'm not too sure of

CPU, was a Pentium dual core but I replaced it for a core 2 duo that I had lying around (have tested both cpus, problem still occurs)

There's no hdd rn, I still need to buy one but ik from experience that a pc will still post even without a hdd

Mobo - I'm not too sure, will edit when i check but its a gigabyte

The gpu is integrated but I tried a card and the problem still happened 

So basically I connected it up, and hit the power button, leds came on as normal, cpu fan is spinning but I had no VGA signal, no beeps, no post, zip

I tried all the usuals, testing the ram individually, checking the thermal paste (there wasn't any but I used toothpaste as I've been told by experts that it works temporarily), clearing the CMOS and so on

Why I believe its the mobo is there were no beeps when I removed both ram sticks and tried to boot, just the same state as before

I'd really like to get this running so any help would be appreciated

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:35 AM

Yeah good chance the MOBO is dead, I mean you did all you could without hooking the thing up to some high end computer testing hardware, no oscilloscope or voltage meters or anything.

I mean good news is if you need a core 2 duo compatible motherboard they can be found cheap but it depends on the form factor of the PC 

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 Liamza2314

Liamza2314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:03 AM

:( was hoping that wasn't the case, thanks a lot, I live in Cape Town in South Africa so tech like that can be difficult to come by
But thanks for your help, will look around for a new mobo

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

Yeah that market is tricky

But you may get lucky but yeah tough luck there, I mean you did everything right on your end

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 Liamza2314

Liamza2314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:05 AM