Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite IDT audio driver - low sound every time I cold boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ajg617

ajg617

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

This is driving me nuts.  Running Win10 Pro and Mint Sylvia on a P55t-A5118.  I have no problems on the Linux end, only Win 10 and that started after 1709 was installed.  I have MS drivers blocked by policy. Nearly everytime I cold boot, the sound in any application is extremely low and there are no Win10 startup sounds (not that I care but just tells me I have to re-install the IDT driver).  I have to re-install the driver (even though the correct one is installed when looking at device manager) to correct the problem.  Upon restart, the issue is corrected.  Note this only happens on a cold boot and not all the time but say 90%.  Sometimes the IDT driver re-install only performs a repair, and other times it performs a complete re-install.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

AJG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

I don't know if this is your problem but Windows 10 will automatically update drivers through Windows Update. After you install the IDT driver and everything is working properly disable Windows 10 ability to update drivers.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

FYI: 1709 has an end of live date of April 2019. No more security updates after that date.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

#3 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

Thanks, but I block all MS drivers - group policy setting as I've been stung too many times.  Only drivers on the lappy are IDT from Toshiba.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

Sorry, I just reread and missed that.

Edit:From what I have googled IDT HD audio and Windows 10 are not a good match. Was this IDT driver you installed specific to Windows 10 or was it a 8.1 driver?

This thread if for the Preview of Windows 10. I'm not sure it would help but trying the Generic HD Audio driver inside of Windows may give you better results. I would create a restore point first.

1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC on Device Manager.

2. Select Driver tab.

3. Click Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pickup a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

Appears Warning message, but reply Yes.

7. ! Windows has successfully update your driver software.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/idt-high-definition-audio-codec-not-working-on/570a5038-e48e-43f3-af75-95da61447c87

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 July 2018 - 06:37 PM.

#5 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:09 PM

According to Toshiba, it is specific to Win 10.  But I put in Win8.1 to see what version and size of drivers were available and  two match.  What is frustrating is that Tosh has 4 IDT drivers within one day for Win 10.

IDT Audio driver Posted Date: 2016-09-21 | Version: 6.10.6472.0 | Size: 16.33M IDT Audio driver Posted Date: 2016-09-21 | Version: 6.10.6472.0 | Size: 16.33M IDT Audio driver Posted Date: 2016-09-21 | Version: 6.10.6491.0 | Size: 16.37M IDT Audio driver Posted Date: 2016-09-20 | Version: 6.10.6504.0 | Size: 22.77M   The highest version of the driver - 6504 - which I would exepct to be the latest, was actually posted a day before 3 other versions and they all have different executable names.  Go figure.   Regarding the generic driver, MS can't find it on my laptop since I've blocked drivers (tried the procedure).  However, this PC was originally 8.1 and the generic driver caused me all kinds of issues - one of the reasons I did not install Win10 until I knew how to block updates.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, I know from experience that the Toshiba driver support site is kind of a mess. Ironic that linux has zero issues while Windows 10 has problems.

I thought I might get somewhere by going to the IDT site. It seems IDT sold the audio to another company called Tempo Semiconductor. From there was a link to IDT HD audio drivers but that just lead right back to Microsoft's Update Catalog site with a date of 2015. Go figure.

Edit: Do you get this problem when doing a clean boot? There may be a startup item or process that is causing the problem.

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 July 2018 - 07:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users