Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP is dead---Let it go

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

beige bochs, I do not plan to have the posready hack on my system, if the operator is responsibly surfing and maintaining a certain level of cleaning the pc, there should be no danger of infection, I know some are still operating 98se with no problems and there is one browser being maintained, I keep both firefox and MyPal installed,

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,621 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

I will say that at this point WinXP or earlier users do not constitute a very tempting demographic for "your average nefarious players."

There has to be a relatively large payoff to dedicate the time and resources to create malware, ransomware, viruses, etc., even if that "large payoff" is the makers amusement at the havoc they wreak.

Windows XP and earlier constitutes such a small user base that it's no longer a "rich target rich" environment.

It's abundantly clear from what's been said in this thread that pretty much everyone knows that XP is dead as a fully functioning general purpose OS in the modern world.  There will always be those who want to use something "quaint," and who will, knowing the risks involved.  So long as they do, that's their choice to make.  Even if they don't, that's their choice to make.  Ignorance is, as the old saying goes, bliss.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#48 Sampei_Nihira

Sampei_Nihira

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:20 AM

Like Sampei_Nihira pointed out earlier, Windows XP is still a secure operating system as long as patching is maintained through the use of the POSReady spoof.  They say that patching Windows XP in this fashion may lead to unexpected behavior since the patches targeting Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 aren't tested on Windows XP, but the only unexpected behavior I have seen is a regression in the Windows XP Start menu where attempting to change the web browser and/or email client to something else fails to occur.  The change in settings does get stored, but it will not show in the Start menu itself (it just continues to show the last browser and email client from before the first patches are installed after the spoof was applied).  Aside from that, XP has worked very well for me as an online presence tool among other things.  It may be old, but it's still maintained in a way and not yet obsolete.

I suppose one thing which could make me sweat in the near future is when Mozilla finally drops support for Firefox 52 ESR.  As far as I know, there are no other maintained web browsers which work on Windows XP.  Then, of course, there is the looming final Patch Tuesday for POSReady 2009 in April of 2019.  At least a month after that, I suppose it will definitely be time to pull the plug on the best WinNT operating system to come out of Microsoft, or at least unplug it from the Internet.

Basilisk52 fork for XP.

Pale Moon 28 for XP (New Moon).

They are excellent choices:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=54

#49 BeigeBochs

BeigeBochs

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:51 PM

Basilisk52 fork for XP.
Pale Moon 28 for XP (New Moon).

They are excellent choices:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=54

Oh! This I gotta see!
Thanks, Sampei!

Actually, my main browser of choice is SeaMonkey; web browsing and email in one disk- and memory-efficient package. As relieving as it appears that there are those who are continuing to maintain Firefox 52esr in some form, I'd love even more to see a project to maintain SeaMonkey for XP in some form.

#50 Sampei_Nihira

Sampei_Nihira

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

:thumbsup2:

I do spoof Firefox 52.9.0 ESR as the latest version of Firefox:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/176734-spoofing-firefox-53-and-newer-versions-on-windows-2000-and-xp/?page=3

:thumbup2:

Test:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

Edited by Sampei_Nihira, 08 September 2018 - 08:51 AM.

#51 BeigeBochs

BeigeBochs

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:21 PM

Spoofing may be helpful for getting websites to behave the same as they would with a newer version browser, but it doesn't plug security holes.

#52 Wolfy169

Wolfy169

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:26 PM

Let it go.

Move up to Windows 10.

What? So You Can Receive Never Ending Updates, To Keep "Bastard" Running? You Are Bloody Joking Right?, Try Typing "services.msc" Into "Command Prompt" + See How Many Of Your "Core NETWORKING SERVICES", ARE "DISABLED", By "ARSEHOLES" AT MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#53 Sampei_Nihira

Sampei_Nihira

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:24 AM

Spoofing may be helpful for getting websites to behave the same as they would with a newer version browser, but it doesn't plug security holes.

It's correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users