Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP is dead---Let it go

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

Let it go.

Move up to Windows 10.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

A somewhat extreme opinion.

For general computer use I could agree especially if that included web-browsing. But there are a number of valid reasons for not moving off XP -

Running a control system that does not involve an internet connection.

Running legacy software that does not run on a later OS and does not require an internet connection.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:52 PM

Had to do it :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

Yeah....let it go....

Move UP, to Linux

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:28 PM

Yeah....let it go....

Move UP, to Linux

Agreed.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:49 PM

For general computer use I could agree especially if that included web-browsing. But there are a number of valid reasons for not moving off XP -

Running a control system that does not involve an internet connection.

Running legacy software that does not run on a later OS and does not require an internet connection.

Chris Cosgrove

When most of those asking about managing to squeeze out another day of XP preface that with an explanation of conditions that warrant it, like the ones you list, that's a different story.

My observation has been that this is the exception, not the rule.  For anything other than a very constrained set of uses Windows XP should have been abandoned long ago and should still be abandoned if running what needs to be run under a currently supported OS is possible.  I'm still running some XP era software under Windows 10 (and carried it along since XP up to 10), so it's not like it's impossible.

Computer hardware, software, and OSes have finite service lives.  I can understand completely wanting each to last as long as possible but with regard to general use of Windows XP we're long past the "as long as possible" era.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 Smith-12-shane

Smith-12-shane

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:51 AM

Hi, i think that if you,re not satisfied with xp windows, then you can leave it & switch to a newer version of windows.

#8 Sampei_Nihira

Sampei_Nihira

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

I use Windows XP and Windows 10.

There are developers who still use Windows 2000.

For me, Linux is boring to use.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

Yeah, no lack of excitement with Win 10...failed updates, never ending feature updates.... :hysterical:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

Yeah, no lack of excitement with Win 10...failed updates, never ending feature updates.... :hysterical:

Now that made my day.

Boring OS's are good. That is exactly what an OS is supposed to be.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:42 AM

Because failed updates never happen on anything but Windows, do they?

The degree of smugness of some in the Linux community never ceases to amaze.  And it never ceases to drive a lot of people away from even trying the OS, too.  Reading the Linux forum clearly shows that it has plenty of "excitement" with updates, among other things.   All OSes do.

So far, since the advent of Windows 10, I have had one failed update (regular/cumulative) on one machine and one failed feature update on another (out of five in my home) and have had no calls from existing clients on either issue.  Both went just fine "the second time around."  

You really can't use computer support forums, which are by definition populated by individuals seeking support for "issues" and those offering it, as a metric for "the typical experience."  You also can't say that because Windows forums have so many more posts that it's more problematic, simply because the embedded user base is so much larger one would expect that even the exact same percentage of issues as another OS might be having would result in far, far, far higher raw numbers because of the size of the Windows user base.

I have no great love and adoration for Microsoft or Windows, what I do have a great love and adoration for is taking "the big picture" into account.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

Well difference is again Microsoft is a big billion dollar company who controls a huge chunk of the desktop market so they in theory should not have any issues rolling out updates.

At least when linux has an issue its mostly understandable, no big billion dollar companies and most of what we have in linux is community maintained so errors are bound to happen.

Again this is why i am more forgiving of the pratfalls of linux as unlike windows it doesnt have a massive user base to mess up, for me if linux messes up its okay as I have plenty of flavors.

Windows on the other hand... well 7 is almost dead sadly, Windows 8 is crap and 8.1 isnt much better

I really wish Microsoft would have done a XP with windows 7 after the abysmal failure of windows 8

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 July 2018 - 11:04 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

Boring is beautiful.

Linux......you've got to love it !

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

. . . Microsoft is a big billion dollar company who controls a huge chunk of the desktop market so they in theory should not have any issues rolling out updates.

One of my favorite quotations, though I do not have an attribution, is:  "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is."

I have yet to work with any entity that deals with large, unwieldy, and ultimately "untestable in their entirety as changes get made" software like OSes that don't have occasional burps with updates.

I actually thought (and still think) Microsoft had a stroke of genius with the "Windows Insider" program.  For an OS like Windows 10 there is absolutely no way that Microsoft (or any other company, for that matter) could ever assemble an in-house hardware testbed that covers all the hardware out there on which Windows 10 is being run.  Having a massive cadre of willing volunteers to beta (sometimes alpha) test things you are thinking about rolling out on hardware that you couldn't buy now even if you wanted to in many cases is just brilliant.  Between that and system health telemetry being used to put the brakes on the rollout of cumulative and feature updates if unanticipated issues are encountered in the early stages a "bad update" becomes far less likely for any given individual machine.

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

Yeah but Microsoft does have accountability, the EULA doesnt make them immune from that.

Especially where big business is concerned, maybe not in the personal workspace but in the commercial sector a bad update is a big deal.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users