Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Probs After Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

:thumbsup: Today I did some MS updates and afterwards could not send email to anyone not in my address book and got an error message stating something like “match not found….this person is not in your address book” and it would change the font color of the addressee to red. I deleted the updates (about 10) and everything is fine now.

Has anyone any knowledge of this error happening? I would hate to update again and have to go through them one-by-one and delete/reboot to see which one is the culprit.

I generally update every month or so, so it would be something recent. My OS is Win 2K Pro, my browser is IE6 and my mail program is Outlook Express

Thanks a bunch,
Randall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

I have re-downloaded all but one of the updates and I found the one that caused the problem:

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB819696)
Download size: 790 KB , less than 1 minute
An identified security issue in Microsoft DirectX could allow an attacker to run programs on a computer running Microsoft Windows. The attacker would first have to send you an e-mail message or entice you into visiting a malicious Web site. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

I caution everyone not to let Micro$oft update without reading the descriptions. The caveat in this one is: "IT CANNOT BE REMOVED".

I will never, ever, never again download an update that cannot be uninstalled or removed and advise everyone else to give some thought about doing the same.

Thankfully I have GoBack and could revert my HD.

Since this seems to be a Win2K Pro situation, a moderator may wish to move/copy this to that forum.

I hope this prevents someone else from having the same pesky problem.

Randall

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

To be honest, I do not use Windows automatic updates for that very reason. I update manually, and only after at least two weeks after the Tuesday flood; any problems encountered with their patches should have surfaced by then.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 26 October 2006 - 01:46 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

I don't use the Automatic updates either, but did not review, but just downloaded all the "critical" updates. An excellent suggestion though.

John, you may not remember me but we both used to frequent another tech board at iWon. Because of your suggestion, I visit here now if I have any problems and I don't know if that board still exists.

Thanks for your invite to visit here and thanks for the response.

Randall

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

I have not been to the IWon boards for at least a year. As you can see, I spend all of my spare time here.
I am certainly happy to hear that you find BC helpful and a friendly place to be.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users