Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to partition so bootable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

macbookpro 10.6.8; 500 GB HD

I'm preparing to upgrade to el capitan. I bought a 1 T ext HD from One World computing. Under Disk Utility its current partition map scheme is master boot record. I want to divide it into 2 unequal partitions - a 400 GB to BU my current configuration via superduper to make a bootable bu I can use if my upgrade runs into a snag. I want a 2nd bootable partition of 600 GB to back up my computer reg w/ superduper after the upgrade. The OWC has a setup program that appeared on the desktop when I first plugged it in. It shows up in Disk Utility as ms dos 32 format and not as a dmg. So I'm going to use DU.

On the partition tab of DU it offers me a choice of Mac os extended journal or mac os extended journal case sensitive. On Finder searches I sometime wish I had the option of a case sensitive search. Does the journaled case sensitive format have any relation to finder searches? Does it have any cons?

I don't see any options to make a partition bootable - you used to have to do that w/ windows. Superduper will make the partition bootable when I choose that option when setting up my backup?

I can have 2 partitions bootable on one HD? When I option start it will offer both partitions as choices?

Partitioning will erase the disk, right?

Can and should I run a HD test on it looking for bad sectors before partitioning or will partitioning do that?

This is probably simple and straightforward - except for maybe the choice of journaled or journaled case sensitive. 8 years in and I'm still windows paranoid.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:37 PM

"... 8 years in and I'm still windows paranoid."

Now THAT'S  funny. 

I'm running El Capitan too but I can't answer your question. You're in the right place though, someone here knows the way to get done what you want to do. Hang in there. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the moral support Twin B. I, too, have learned that blood is not thicker than money.

I found some info on case sensitive. W/ case sensitive two files named filename.x and fileName.x can be in the same folder but not in reg journaled. Case sensitive would be a help in searching for contents rather than file names. The article said some 3rd party programs have trouble w/ case sensitive. So sticking w/ plain journaled is probably my best choice.

Edited by MaryBet82, 23 July 2018 - 08:03 AM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:21 AM

I didn't know that about case sensitive although I ran into a problem once and I wondered if that was the issue. I'd like to know who's on the committee that thinks up these weird restrictions. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

Partitioning the new ext HD turned out to be easy peasy. I plugged in the new drive, went into disk utility, chose the new drive listed, chose "two partitions" listed in the drop down box. This displayed two partition boxes and made naming the partitions option and size options active. Journaled extended was the default choice under format. You click on one partition and name/size it; then you click on the 2nd and name/size it. Then you hit apply and in a few seconds you are done. You just have to name and size both partitions before hitting the apply button. I thought you did one partition at a time and had to redo - but like I said - it just takes seconds. It may take longer if you are partitioning a drive w/ stuff already on it, but this drive just had a partition w/ OWC's setup program on it and was otherwise empty.

SuperDuper makes the partition bootable when you choose the "erase, then copy" option. The next time I back up I will choose Smart Copy so that only changes will be erase/added - i think I do that under options.

I don't know what the advantage to journaled extended case sensitive would be as far as file names. If you want to basically use the same file name you can just add a "2" or put a "_" or"-" in the name.

Edited by MaryBet82, 23 July 2018 - 10:49 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 Chiragroop

Chiragroop

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:36 AM

macOS only uses Journaled Extended not the case sensitive (which I believe is only used in iOS). I am not sure about SuperDuper, but I know it supports snapshots for High Sierra or later (due to APFS). 

You could just use Time Machine on the second partition when you upgrade to El Capitan (which can be restored using Recovery HD)

That's the most I know (having never used SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner, but just Time Machine when I used to have a Mac

I thought you did one partition at a time and had to redo - but like I said - it just takes seconds. It may take longer if you are partitioning a drive w/ stuff already on it, but this drive just had a partition w/ OWC's setup program on it and was otherwise empty.

Partitioning isn't supposed to take time :) It's not deleting your files or anything if you choose quick format. Instead, it marks the sector start and sector end for a partition and some information about the file system. Then it formats it with the file system. To the file system, the disk is empty. When a file or folder is stored, it writes over the sectors regardless of the old data there and marks it so there is a file starting from this sector to the end of this sector (and the metadata like name, timestamp, etc). (This is highly simplified but it is a good example. Your files are not zeroed out, and for the most part, don't need to. Especially considering this is a new drive so there isn't anything sensitive written that needs to be overwritten with zeros.)

-Chiragroop

#7 deancollins

deancollins

• Banned Spammer
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

Funny, mate.

I've been so paranoid as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users