Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Controlled Folder Access Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whereat

whereat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Can someone help me figure out what I need to do to fix this issue?

Everything works fine if I disable Controlled Folder Access but once Controlled Folder Access is activated, I can't create new Microsoft Word or Excel documents or make changes to existing documents.  The error message "Controlled folder access blocked" appears consistently.  I'd like to be able to be protected from ransomware but the inconvenience of setting this switch repeatedly on and off is really annoying.  It doesn't make sense it's meant to function this way.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

Hello,

Welcome to BleepingComputer

Please read this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-exploit-guard/customize-controlled-folders-exploit-guard#allow-specific-apps-to-make-changes-to-controlled-folders

Best regards,

HrcaA3000

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

#3 whereat

whereat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the welcome.  Sorry but I'm not sure what's needed to fix the problem.  I'd expect that MS Word and Excel are already considered "friendly apps" which don't need to be specifically allowed.  Could I get a bit more direction?  Thanks again.

Edited by whereat, 22 July 2018 - 10:28 AM.

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:34 PM

Hi, have a read through this:-

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/87858-add-protected-folders-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-a.html

#5 whereat

whereat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for all the help guys - problem is resolved - yeah!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users