Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Dell laptop keyboard not recognized by computer (including BIOS)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 patrickhaney

patrickhaney

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

Hello,

I recently replaced my Dell Precision M4700's keyboard, as I had broken the ZIF connector clip on the last one. I went to my local computer repair and bought a new keyboard, and installed it at home, by just snapping the ribbon into the clip on the motherboard. However, the new keyboard isn't recognized by the computer, and I can't use it in the BIOS, or even access it, so I don't think it's a driver issue (Windows Device Manager can't find it either). Pressing the Caps Lock button doesn't activate the button's light, if that helps.

Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:08 PM

double check your keyboard connector, make sure the keyboard cable is inserted correctly.  is the connector itself broken? or if it still doesn't work then you need to either think it's a faulty keyboard they sold you or the keyboard decorder/encoder chip is bad.

#3 patrickhaney

patrickhaney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

double check your keyboard connector, make sure the keyboard cable is inserted correctly.  is the connector itself broken? or if it still doesn't work then you need to either think it's a faulty keyboard they sold you or the keyboard decorder/encoder chip is bad.

I made sure my keyboard connector was connected to the ribbon correctly again, as pictured by the keyboard installation guide in the manual. I don't think the connector is broken, because the original keyboard broke at the ZIF connector on itself, not on the motherboard. You are probably correct about the keyboard being faulty or having a bad chip. When they sold me the keyboard, they did say that the keyboard was for a different model (very similar though, like a M4800 or M4600), but it still fit perfectly. Could this be why the keyboard is not functioning?

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:00 PM

On most Dell's you have to locate the sticker with DP/N on it to get the real Dell part number.  Check both the new and the old keyboards and Google their part numbers.  The new one might well be incompatible even if it did fit.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

i'd say you need the exact keyboard for your computer.  ebay is a good place to order them from new for around $13 + shipping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users