Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows boot manager screen-is all lost?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:19 PM

Greetings. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.....if not, I hope moderators will move it.

My 3 year old Acer Aspire netbook running Windows 7 had been giving me the blue screen of death this week, twice during the week, several times today and now I've got a Windows boot manager screen that says this:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer

2. choose your language settings and then click next.

3. click "repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Info: the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Well, it's a netbook and does not have a disc drive so I have no disc.  I was able to run diagnostics and nothing was found but Windows won't load. When I got the blue screens of death, I shut it down, restarted and it worked again.  That's not happening this go round :(

I do regular back-ups but have discovered that I missed a couple of files in my haste to grab everything(the latest files since last backup) last night off this soon to fail PC.

Is all hope lost? These aren't terribly critical files, I did manage to get mostly everything important. I'm going to D.C. in two weeks and one of the files I didn't grab was the one with my notes for the trip. Again, not a huge deal. I think I can recreate most of it but I sure would rather not do that. Also, I remember pressing the F5 key in the past with other failing computers but that doesn't work the way it's supposed to. It brings me to the diagnostics page and I ran that and it didn't find anything but would not load Windows as stated above.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by tobyo, 21 July 2018 - 10:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:26 AM

Hello,

This problem can be Windows related or hardware related. Just to make sure that your hardware is working properly, I would suggest you to run ESET SysRescue and if it starts and runs normally then the problem is probably Windows related. You can also use ESET SysRescue to make a backup of your personal data.

About ESET SysRescue - made by ESET (IT security company)

• A malware cleaning tool that runs independent of the operating system from a CD, DVD, or a USB. It has direct access to the disk and the file system, and therefore is capable of removing the most persistent threats.
  • It has preinstalled ESET Virus Scanner, GParted (tool used to manage disks), file manager, web browser and more.
  • It can be used to make backup
  • It is often used for troubleshooting

INSTRUCTIONS TO RUN ESET SysRescue (another PC required)

1. Follow instructions for creating SysRescue USB (read carefully): https://support.eset.com/kb3509/#create
  2. Boot from USB - you can run virus scan if you want to make sure that your system is not infected   (https://support.eset.com/kb3509/#scan)
  3. Use file manager to make backup

Best regards,

HrcaA3000

Edited by HrcaA3000, 22 July 2018 - 02:28 AM.

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

Thank you. And this doesn't harm the computer that I'll use to create the rescue USB? Also, my non-functioning netbook was using Windows 7 so does the USB need to be created from a PC using the same version of Windows? 

Thanks again for the help.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

This will not harm the computer that the program is created on. The Rescue disk is linux based so you do not need to worry about what OS is used on the computer it's created on. You can use a USB external hard drive to back up your data to. See page 20 of the guide.

https://download.eset.com/manuals/eset_sysrescue_userguide_enu.pdf

FYI. If you can access the Advanced Boot Options by tapping F8 at boot select Use Last Known Good Configuration. This may get you back to a bootable state. Also, in the Advanced Boot Options is Repair Computer. From there select Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts to do the repair.

windows-7-startup-repair-7-5807115d3df78​

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 July 2018 - 08:16 PM.

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:14 PM

Thanks!!

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

so I got a message that the USB rescue was not created. when I closed down the ESET application another window was behind it that said "you must format drive F in order to use it. do you want to format it now?" and I chose no.

advice? and thanks again.

oh yea also, F8 did not work. I got the same screen as noted in my first post above. :(

Edited by tobyo, 23 July 2018 - 07:48 PM.

#7 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

I am trying again but this time instead of a green check there was an exclamation point next to the name of the USB drive.......hmmmm........

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

I'm assuming F: is your flash drive. Eset requires it to format your flash drive. You will need to backup any data you have on the flash drive first as the drive will be erased.

#9 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

Okay, confusing.  I didn't see that in the instructions. Okay, when it gets to that point again I'll say yes. and yes, F is my flash drive.

thanks!

Edited by tobyo, 23 July 2018 - 07:52 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:55 PM

Just make sure it's your flash drive and not your hard drive. Did you get any error other than the Status Error like a File error called BCD?

I don't think that this is malware related. Possible hard drive or BCD corruption would be my guess. Is there data you need off the hard drive?

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2018 - 04:38 AM.

#11 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

pooey. I was able to create the USB and that window didn't open that asked me to format drive F.  curious.

and, no luck with the rescue flash drive. I put it in my three different USB slots and got the same "windows boot manager" screen with the same message as above.  instructions indicate to press F8-F12 as it boot up but I already know that tapping F8 doesn't work as it didn't work last night.  So try F12 instead? or does it mean F8 thru F12?  and tap it with the flash drive in the USB slot?

thanks again.

Edited by tobyo, 23 July 2018 - 08:45 PM.

#12 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:46 PM

Just make sure it's your flash drive and not your hard drive. Did you get any error other than the Status Error like a File error called BCD?

I don't think that this is malware related. Possible hard drive or BCD corruption would be my guess. Is there data you need off the hard drive?

there is but I think I can recreate them. I'd just like to avoid that.  I could probably take it to Microcenter and pay them to get the data.  trying to decide if it's worth it.

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2018 - 04:39 AM.

#13 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

I did not get any error, nope.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:13 PM

With an Acer you need to tap F12 to get a boot menu. Pick your USB flash drive from the Boot Menu. You may need to enable your F12 boot menu in your BIOS settings.

https://au.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7550/~/changing-boot-order

You may have an easier time using a WinPE disk to retrieve your data. Download the iso on the below page. It's a Windows 10 PE but it will work on your Windows 7 computer. This PE disk also has tools on the computer to try to recover Windows 7 like the Lazesoft Recovery Suite and tools to check your hard drive.

https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/27180-windows-10-recovery-tools-bootable-rescue-disk.html

You can make a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus. Run Rufus with the flash drive attached. Leave all boxes as checked. Click the Select button and browse to the iso file. Press Start. 

You can do the above if the Eset rescue USB does not boot for you. 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Edit: Does the computer have a COA sticker with a legible key? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 July 2018 - 09:14 PM.

#15 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

I was able to enable my F12 key but it still does the same thing as before.

By COA sticker do you mean the product key?  If so, yes, it's legible.

Shall I assume that I create the WinPE disk using another computer too? Can I use the same flash drive as I used for ESET?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users