Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forcing Chrome Update with XP

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 js10

js10

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:42 PM

First of all, I totally understand that I shouldn't be running XP anymore! I'm still running it for now, though, because, quite frankly, I really like it, but I know I have to update soon. That said, as kind of an emergency measure, I'd REALLY like to at least be running the latest version of Chrome, but as most of you probably know, machines running XP no longer receive updates for it. So, here's my question. Is there ANY way to essentially force an update to the latest version of Chrome despite the fact that I'm running XP? Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2018 - 06:20 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Hello,

I don't think that there is any method to force update. I recommend you to switch to Mozilla Firefox (EOL for Windows XP - August 2018, you can read more about it on https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista). You can also switch to Opera Browser whose interface is more similar to Google Chrome. Opera 36 is latest version supported on Windows XP and it's based on Chrome 49. If you switch to Opera, you won't be able to upgrade to newer versions of Opera but you will be continuously receiving security updates.

Best regards,

HrcaA3000

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

#3 Sampei_Nihira

Sampei_Nihira

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

http://browser.taokaizen.com/

Too many faults.

Better to install:

1) New Moon 28 (beta) - Pale Moon fork for XP

2) Basilisk (build for XP):

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=41

#4 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

Hi. Thanks for the responses, but without going into too much detail, there's some work that I do for which Chrome is actually a requirement. Therefore, using another browser wouldn't really work. Only using a different OS with the latest version of Chrome, but, again, that I rather not do yet. So, again, does anyone here know of a way to download the latest version of Chrome while using XP?

#5 Sampei_Nihira

Sampei_Nihira

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:39 AM

Hi.

The latest version of Chrome can not work with Windows XP.  

End of the speech.

Edited by Sampei_Nihira, 23 July 2018 - 12:39 AM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:46 PM

Indeed, XP is dead

XP has ceased to be! XP's expired and gone to meet is maker!

XP's a stiff! Bereft of life, XP rests in peace! If you hadn't kept using it past its expiration date XP'd be pushing up the daisies!
Its metabolic processes are now history! XP's off the twig!
XP's kicked the bucket, XP's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible!!

THIS IS AN EX-OS!!

Edited by MadmanRB, 23 July 2018 - 02:49 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

Yep best to move on I recommend Linux Lite or Linux Mint XFCE if you have really old low end hardware. That or buy a new computer.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 23 July 2018 - 04:28 PM.

#8 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

Anyone else have an opposing view? Some back-door method of getting Chrome to update despite running XP?

If not, yeah, I thought about those Windows-alternatives (I see Ubuntu is featured in a pinned thread in this forum). I don't know ANYTHING about that type of thing. But (and I realize this could be a separate topic in and of itself), would it be possible to use Ubuntu just for going online (and with the latest version of Chrome) and then leaving XP on my machine for everything else, or is it really one or the other?

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

Yes its possible to use something like ubuntu to be only for browsing.

However there are factors on even linux to think about, firstly is this a very old machine?

Do you know your hardware?

This is sort of important if you wish to run chrome, as chrome no longer supports 32bit linux.

There is the free on source chromium but you would not have the ability to play flash content on it.

Now it is true that linux can make old hardware feel new again but the choices are sort of being limited thanks to 32bit support being slowly killed off in linux (linux developers dont have the money that windows does plus there is a good chance windows will stop supporting 32bit as well)

This is where the age thing kicks in, got a machine from circa 2003? yeah choices are limited.

If you have a 64bit capable machine then you are okay, anything from 2004 and above may fit the bill as some Pentium 4's could take 64bit and most certainly anything AMD or core 2 duo

Heck even the Petium D gets some redemption points thanks to it having the capacity of 64bit and it was a terrible processor considered intels worst by many

Edited by MadmanRB, 23 July 2018 - 07:52 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:45 PM

Spoon!!!,

Thanks for the comprehensive response. It was, though, quite a bit above my head! The only good news is that the machine (which, maybe making things even a bit more complicated, is custom-built by some guy who serviced my previous computer -- long story) is from 2008 and the hard drive, which had to be replaced, from maybe 2011. But that's really the only answer I can give you. Is there any way to tell definitively? As you can probably tell, there's likely no way I would have the skills to install something like this myself, but it looks like there are people on Firverr who can do it remotely. I guess I'll ask it this way: if I hire someone to do so, that person starts the installation, and it turns out it's NOT doable on my machine, am I just back to where I started, or could that attempt do actual damage? I guess another way I could ask this is "is it worth a try"? Thanks again.

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:50 PM

2008 yeah very doable, and 64bit hardware was starting to become commonplace by then.

I mean you do sort of know what hardware you are running correct?

Even base stuff like "it has a intel dual core" is fine.

Just have to know so I can tell you where to go, as actually linux can be very easy to install even if you have never used it before with complete install guides all over the internet.

These days installing a OS is very easy compared to how it used to be,and to be even more honest  linux is actually easier to install than windows is by now in fact.

I can get a linux system to install in under 15 minutes, windows can take up to more than a half hour.

Edited by MadmanRB, 23 July 2018 - 08:52 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:58 PM

Do I sort of know what hardware I'm running? Well, not by heart, but from right-clicking on My Computer (I know that much), let's see:

Intel 2Duo CPU

E8400@ 3.00Ghz

3.00GH, 2.00 GB of RAM

Does that help?

Oh, and as for installing it myself, just from quickly googling it, it sounds like what I would need is called a "dual boot," is that correct? That sounds intimidating, but is it something even a novice could do as well?

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

Yup a dual boot is what you would be after.

As for your specs well 2GB of ram is considered a bit low but there are lightweight linuxes to try.

For that hardware i would recommend Linux Mint MATE or XFCE as both are better for your hardware, preferably Linux Mint 19 XFCE

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Linux mint offers three versions, Cinnamon (for more modern hardware) MATE and XFCE

MATE and XFCE are ligher with XFCE being the lightest.

But all versions feature a Windows XP like user interface so it would be familliar in terms of looks

https://www.linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/sarah/xfce.png

For a install guide well that is where things can get a bit tricky, normally linux mint detects other OS's so it can allocate its own space but just in case there is gparted a tool you can use to partition your hard drive

Partitioning is dividing your hard drive between windows and linux cutting down space but allowing both systems to share your system.

Just be careful as this could destroy windows so if  you want to try linux mint out on your hardware please back up all your data.

This way if you need to reinstall windows you wont loose your files.

Always backup your data, this is true for any OS

Anyhow once you back up your files there is this video on how to use gparted the linux partitioning tool:

This guide is using mint 14 but nothing has changed, also note that he uses a command to install gparted in the video no need to do this as its on the live image (linux uses something called a live image which allows you to try the OS out before installing it, a very handy feature especially if you are new to computing)

Really partitioning is the only real hard thing about putting linux mint on your hardware as once you get done wit that it is a utter breeze to install

And once its installed its very easy to use, just dont expect windows .exes to work here :D

I mean you may not need to worry about manually partitioning your drive but its better safe than sorry to give you a guide just in case, but please back up your data in any case.

Even if you got a newer version of windows on here it will still be wise to back it up

Edited by MadmanRB, 23 July 2018 - 09:28 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:09 PM

MadmanRB (sorry for referring to you by your sub-header or whatever you call it before, but that's just how stressed out this stuff makes me!),

Okay, thanks, that sounds like a lot of good advice in terms of which software to install, but it does kind of reaffirm my initial belief that I'm better off hiring someone with more knowledge to do this for me. I mean, it would be easily worth the $20 or so to not have to worry about it and give myself the best chance of not destroying Windows!

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:23 PM

well the thing is that you could hire someone to back up your data but never let on to linux as either A: someone may not know what it is

B: they may give you false info like "linux is too hard!" or C: have them suggest you get a mac :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 23 July 2018 - 10:26 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users