Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does shift + start have a name?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:05 PM

I was using system profiler to refresh my memory on what my old macbook pro has and noted the diagnostics option under Hardware. It listed two items in bold - one the Hardware Diagnostics Test I ran in Jan 2017 and another one whose name I don't remember. I have frequently done the shift + start before doing my superduper bu as recommended by superduper and I wondered if the forgot-the-name referred to that.

When I went back to find the name to google it for more info and see what it said under the bold only the Hardware test was listed. I've only used system profiler and disk utility that I can remember this afternoon and see no other options in either listing diagnostic tests by name. Is shift + start even a diagnostic test? I mean if the mac works when you start it that way it indicates a bad font or incompatible login item, but it doesn't give a report, does it? I don't see it in Logs. Would it have been listed in system profiler?

I am trying to refresh my memory on everything mac I learned after years as a disgruntled windows user and have forgotten over the last few years of strife and reduced activity.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

Safe Mode.
Where did you see SDs recommendation for Safe Mode before running a backup of your hard drive?

I have never seen or done that prior to my SD backups.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:03 AM

I believe that was a recommendation I got from SuperDuper instructions. It was described as more of an option - that it wasn't necessary but that it decreased the chances of running into a problem. I also check the option of checking and correcting permissions. I also do that now and then from disk utility, altho I've never noted it makes any difference The shift bootup just takes a little longer to do and the info on my mac and the ability to be able to boot from my ext HD in case the mac won't boot into the os are critical because I am fighting a pretty much life and death legal battle on a tight budget with a disabled sibling dependent on my eventual success. After BU I check that it was successful - that I can boot into the ext HD, access the net and that the latest email is in Mail. I need to retain the ability to email my lawyer and provide copies of letters, emails, scanned docs to him.

Unfortunately, this legal situation has been going on for years - courts are slow and the concept of justice delayed justice denied is foreign to them - and my own health was not good when this started and has not improved under the stress and deprivations. No offense to lawyers and judges who practice competently and ethically. I managed to set up the mac w/ a VirtualBox so I could access PaperPort files and w/ SuperDuper to make a bootable BU - I read several books and joined forums, but then I had a period of ill health and was off the internet and did little w/ the computer for a couple of years. I now can't exactly remember what I did or how I did it when I set up my mac nor find which info in which book I used. Besides, I often used net articles or forum help. But I'm pretty sure that the rec to shift boot came from SD - either from the original instructions or later when I contacted them w/ a problem.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

I found my Word notes on SuperDuper. I usually put the web address in there so I know where I got the info, but not this time. There is a serial number listed, so I think it was info from an email when I contacted SD w/ a problem. Here is the reason given for the shift + start:

"Although it’s not strictly necessary, it’s usually a good practice to quit all running applications before performing a backup. Since there are some that aren’t visible, like the Microsoft Office Database Daemon, it’s easiest to log out of your account, and then log back in with the Shift key held down. This will prevent your startup items from running, and helps to ensure that your personal data doesn’t change during the backup".

I do the shift + start after a crash to sort of correct things. ['m crashing these days because I'm using an outdated Firefox that I can't update until I go to el capitan and it doesn't like a lot of web pages.] Usually once booted I restart w/out the shift but if I work in it for awhile the Times New Roman font that I use a lot in Word isn't there.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users