Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Okay to remove McAfee LiveSafe from new laptop?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

Greetings. It's been a while since I've set up a new computer but my 3 year old laptop has crashed three times now so I bought a new one.

In the past I have removed extra programs that I didn't want. This one came with McAfee Live Safe Trial pre-loaded.  In the past I have used Avira free anti-virus but now I'm wondering if I should leave this McAfee intact until the trial is over.  Then remove it?

Or should I remove it now and load Avira?  Thoughts or advice please?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

I would remove it and then stick with Windows Defender.  I remove any trial antivirus/security suite as one of the setup activities on any new machine and with the vast improvements to Windows Defender see no reason to go with a third-party solution anymore.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:36 PM

And Windows Defender is standard with Windows 10 correct?

Oh, hmmmm.....I found where my Windows Defender is but it says the Windows Defender Antivirus is turned off?? I imagine because McAfee is loaded on here right?  So, turn on WD Antivirus and then remove McAfee?

Many thanks!!

Edited by tobyo, 21 July 2018 - 03:38 PM.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

And Windows Defender is standard with Windows 10 correct?

I found where my Windows Defender is but it says the Windows Defender Antivirus is turned off?? I imagine because McAfee is loaded on here right? 

So, turn on WD Antivirus and then remove McAfee?

windows defender is included with windows 10

windows defender is off because McAfee is active.....windows defender should automatically turn back on when you remove McAfee, but check and make sure,

and i agree with everything Britechguy said

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

Excellent!  thanks so much!

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,380 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:55 PM

And if you really want some nice av clients for free there are a few to look at:

Panda, bitdefender, avira, comodo, adaware.

But really a AV client is really optional these days, with safe browsing habits and enabling stuff like adblock its fine to run without a AV client.

But if you really want one, bitdefender is pretty good.

I would remove it and then stick with Windows Defender.  I remove any trial antivirus/security suite as one of the setup activities on any new machine and with the vast improvements to Windows Defender see no reason to go with a third-party solution anymore.

I dunno i still feel windows defender still has its blind spots for those who are into more thorough virus scans plus it has been slow to update compared to some of the third party clients

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 July 2018 - 08:09 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#7 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:26 PM

hmmm interesting. I have used Avira for years.........thanks for this info MadmanRB. I will keep it in mind!

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,380 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:37 PM

Yeah avira isnt too bad, though it has seen better days

For me i actually like panda, it has a few pros and cons but i still like it.

A second runner up is bitdefender but only because i find its user interface lacking

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

Panda was my "go to" antivirus until the recent major upgrades to Windows Defender in the Windows 8 and 10 environments.

It's got a very light footprint.

That being said, I'm back to my original position:  There are very, very few instances where Windows Defender as currently implemented, and constantly under improvement, would not be wholly satisfactory in both home and business/large entity environments.

For those who buy into the antivirus tests and ratings many of those are placing Windows Defender in their top 10 lists over the last couple of years.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

Important to use the removal tool supplied by Mcafee, of not you may have issues!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/mcafee-consumer-products-removal-tool/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:31 AM

Important to use the removal tool supplied by Mcafee, of not you may have issues!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/mcafee-consumer-products-removal-tool/

um......I haven't looked at your link yet but I already removed it via the Windows removal tool.  I guess I takes my chances now.........

#12 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:32 AM

okay just looked at your link. it lists older versions of Windows so hopefully I'm okay. this new machine runs Windows 10.

what kind of problems are there? 

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:49 AM

Not sure about any issues with the removal tool and 10, I do know many have had a pain getting fully rid of McAfee.  On several occasions I have had to reinstall McAfee then use the tool, issues vary but many have experienced them.  If nothing comes up in your case great, if not got the reinstall route.

Phil

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

An interesting read from a 10 user.

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Consumer-General-Discussions/McAfee-Removal-Tried-tool-in-Windows-10/m-p/527832#M32190

#15 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

It was a trial version that came with my new machine. Pretty sure I have removed them via Windows uninstall feature before but thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Edited by tobyo, 25 July 2018 - 10:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users