Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes crashes laptop - Why?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:42 PM

System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with latest 'important' updates
 Laptop:  ASUS K52F
 Malwarebytes free version 3.5.1
 Anti-virus:  Avira

Note that I disable Avira's real-time protection before running Malwarebytes. Then when I run Malwarebytes as administrator using the 'threat scan', the laptop crashes. This has happened twice.

How do I troubleshoot this problem?

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2018 - 03:37 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

Uninstall Avira. :)

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:53 PM

Plese tell me why?

I have run Malwarebytes many times with Avira on my laptop without a problem. So why uninstall it now?

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:06 PM

Plese tell me why?

I have run Malwarebytes many times with Avira on my laptop without a problem. So why uninstall it.

Uninstall it see the differences.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:09 PM

Do as you wish.

Run Windows Defender & maybe Malwarebytes since Malwarebytes is not an antivirus.

#6 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:59 AM

Do as you wish.

Run Windows Defender & maybe Malwarebytes since Malwarebytes is not an antivirus.

Here is what I did:

(1) Uninstall Avira & reboot

(2) Malwarebytes scan ==> laptop CRASHED

(3) Uninstall malwarebytes & reboot

(4) Reinstall malwarebytes & reboot

(5) Malwarebytes scan ==> laptop did NOT crash    Apparently this problem solved

BUT....

(6) Now using Windows Defender

(7) Quick scan with Windows Defender - no problem

(8) Full scan with Windows Defender ==> laptop CRASHED

I tried this twice, still crashed.  WHY?

Any idea what is happening to cause the laptop to crash?

Should I open a separate problem report for Windows Defender?

#7 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

MBAM Premium and other Anti-Virus programs:

It is not recommend using MBAM version 3 or higher with any antivirus program. MBAM is trying to be a full featured anti-virus/anti-malware tool program. Even though It is a very good program, it can interfere with other installed anitviurs programs and cause issues.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#8 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:02 PM

For our users who do prefer to continue using a traditional antivirus alongside Malwarebytes, by all means please continue to do so. Malwarebytes will always maintain compatibility with all major security software on the market, both free and paid. In particular, Microsoft’s traditional antivirus Windows Defender is included by default and for free with Windows 8 and 10, and is a useful additional layer alongside Malwarebytes 3.0.
So in summary, our recommendations are:

• If you would prefer to use only one security product, choose Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium. Based on our testing, Malwarebytes 3.0 alone provides excellent protection against today’s threat landscape.
  • If you would prefer to pay for only one security product, choose Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium and add a free traditional antivirus like Windows Defender (pre-installed for free in Windows 8 and 10). Malwarebytes installs alongside Windows Defender by default, so this is the default configuration in Windows 8 and 10.
  • If you would prefer to pay for two security products, by all means feel free to do so. Malwarebytes is compatible with all major security products on the market.

Topic Link

I use Bitdefender 2018 Total Security and Malwarebytes 3.5.1. Premium, without any issues.  Excluded files have been set in both apps to prevent conflicts, as recommended.

Regards,
-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#9 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

Thanks, I am aware of all of that as well, but I have still seen many issues with systems when using with other AV's. It is always best to test with the individual system to make sure there are no issues IMO.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users