Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another: I think my computers are throttling download speed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

I have been having this issue with two of my 5 computers, both of them the newest ones [HP 15-ba000 series] with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3165 cards.  One is a bit less cranky than the other, but both almost always end up connecting to a smartphone being used as my mobile hotspot at glacially slow speed.  The only trick I've found to get around this, and it is not consistently successful, is to disable and re-enable the device.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.  It had been using a Microsoft supplied driver and that has been replaced by one from Intel with a date of 4/29/2018 and version 19.51.13.2,     That has not made any difference.

The download connection is virtually always less than 1Mbps.  A test on "computer number 2" just had a download speed of 0.67 Mbps while upload speed is 8.45 Mbps after connecting for the first time today.  After disabling/reenabling the WiFi it comes back with figures of 12.48 Mbps download and 11.40 Mbps upload.  The higher speeds tend to stick until/unless the laptop is taken somewhere else and then reestablishes a connection after coming home or is shutdown and restarted or the phone/hotspot is power cycled itself.  At that point I'm virtually always back to glacial download speed, but the upload speed is largely unaffected.

This is not happening on two other laptops, on a HP and the other a Toshiba, that do not use Intel WiFi cards nor dual band.

As a side note, forcing the use of 5Ghz/Wireless AC makes matters worse as far as signal strength and speed goes, which is precisely the opposite of what I would have suspected.

Any theories?  [I've got two nano WiFi dongles what are N300 plus one that is dual-band being delivered today to continue my testing.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

Brian, Windows 10 has a new feature called Network Reset. Have you tried that? If you Safe Boot with Networking enabled do you get the same slowdown?

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet  > Status > Network reset.
  2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

Wait for your PC to restart and see if that fixes the problem.

If you Safe Boot with Networking enabled do you get the same slowdown?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 9,894 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

John,

Was unaware of Network reset and have not tried safe boot.

I can't imagine that Network reset will do anything more radical than what occurred when I uninstalled the devices (did the wired card, too) and their drivers and then reinstalled.  Every network that had been known about was wiped and I started from scratch.  Same problem since then.

I will give these a whirl, but am not hopeful.  I may try, one at a time, the suggestions in this article:  http://www.troublefixers.org/laptops/fix-intel-wireless-7260-ac-wifi-speed-issues-in-windows-10/679/

I have had some temporary luck with some settings changes, but nothing that alleviates the issue permanently (so far).

Brian

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 JayR88

JayR88

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:25 PM

Maybe not...or just kinda crappy internet etc...you know you usually never get the rated or stated speeds.

Edited by JayR88, 21 July 2018 - 07:25 PM.

#5 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:59 AM

Any improvement using an external USB network card on the devices in question Brian?

Seems odd the devices not using the AC 3165 are ok.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users