Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there any kind of new Wi-Fi system available now days?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:07 PM

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is any kind of new Wi-Fi system available these days or is Wi-Fi just Wi-Fi no matter how old or how new it may be? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if I need to update my Wi-Fi router by buying a new one or updating the firmware on my current model.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:25 PM

Your question is simply too broad.

What WiFi protocol(s) does your current router support?  It's almost certain that Wireless b & g are supported, depending on when you bought it it's likely Wireless n, but unless it's pretty recent it probably doesn't support Wireless ac.

Then there's the question of single band (usually 2.4Ghz) or dual band capability (2.4 & 5Ghz).

You'd really have to give the make and model of your current router for anyone to accurately advise.  In addition, just as much depends on the WiFi cards/adapters in your devices.  If, for instance, none are more recent than the Wireless n protocol, and are single channel, you can have the most recent and fastest router on the surface of the earth and that equipment cannot and will not exploit that capability.  Wireless networks are, like a chain, only as strong as their weakest links.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:39 AM

You can not turn your older wireless "G" or "N" router into a newer wireless "AC" by a firmware update, you will need a new router for that.

WPA-3 will be the newest wireless security.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

The hot new thing in wireless is mesh routers.  They are designed for larger homes where you want wireless everywhere.  They eliminate the need for access points, repeaters, and extenders.  They are designed for the common person, not the enthusiast.

I own the eero gen 1 system and backed on one of the crowd source sites.  You configure the router with a smart phone that has Internet access.  Once configure you can use the phone application to monitor your system and it is automatically kept up to date.  It performs regular speed checks so you now how well your ISP is delivering advertised speeds.

#5 sscoolyssh

sscoolyssh

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

I think the router can always be updated. it's much easier than buying a new one. and in principle it is useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users