Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which is most readable: Python, Perl, Sed or Awk?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

Hi,

Of these five programming languages, which has the most overall readable and therefore easily understood syntax?

-Python

-Perl

-Sed

-Awk

-Bash

Thank you

Edited by Punchy71, 20 July 2018 - 06:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 18 August 2018 - 04:01 PM

Of those languages only python and perl are truly programming languages, the others are mainly scripting languages for use in automating command line tasks on unix/linux computers. I'm imagining that, given the question you've asked, you're either a beginner to programming or are trying to teach programming to beginners. In either case python is probably your best choice. With python you have a full range of functionalities available, including lots of libraries of useful functions ready for you to run, you have a lot of support and tutorials available online (https://learnpythonthehardway.org/python3/ was a pretty good intro when I read it a few years ago), and the language is pretty wordy with less use of symbols than a lot of other languages. Just watch out for the way python uses whitespace, it can be quite annoying compared to the {curly brackets} that other languages (C, java...) use, because it can be hard to tell exactly how many spaces you've typed for indentations and space and the tab key are interpreted differently (you need to use one or the other throughout your code, if you mix them then even though a tab looks like 2 (or 3 or 4 depending on your choice of text editor, notepad++ is good, it's available for downlaod for windows but can run under wine for linux too) space the python interpreter won't read it this way and will refuse to run your code until you fix it.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users