Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB devices unavailable after BIOS recovery

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Elaine38

Elaine38

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

Update to below: I think this might have been caused by a lightning strike. Is there a way to know? There was one at our house.

-----------------------------------

Short version: after replacing my PSU, there was a message about a corrupted main BIOS and it was recovering the BIOS with the backup. When I was finally able to open Windows 7, I was unable to use any USB ports. I have one PS/2 port I can use for either the mouse or keyboard. How do I get my USB ports back?

Details:
I have a Gigabyte motherboard with Dual Bios (Ultra Durable model GA-B75M-D3H).
When my computer wouldn't power on, I replaced the PSU. After several tries, I was able to get power, but it displayed the message that the main BIOS was corrupted and it was using the backup BIOS. It took four tries to make it to 100% complete -- it shut down before finishing the first three times.

I am able to start Windows 7, but the USB devices don't work and they do not show up in the device manager. I can use a PS/2 keyboard but have only one PS/2 port and therefore have no mouse (or I can use the mouse only, etc). The USB flash drives are not recognized, and I assume my other USB devices won't be. I tried the mouse on various ports. The mouse does not work in Safe Mode.

The Legacy USB support is enabled in the BIOS (it already was -- I didn't do anything to the settings).

The mouse and keyboard were on a KVM switch but I tried attaching them directly to the PC -- didn't help. The monitor is on the switch and it's fine. At first, the optical mouse lit up when plugged into the KVM switch, but not when plugged directly into the PC. Now it lights up when plugged into any port but doesn't work.

My two questions --
How can I get my USB devices to work?
Do I need to do anything about the BIOS?

Thanks for reading this!

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2018 - 06:29 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:18 PM

Please follow the steps below to help troubleshoot your system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Step 1:
Speccy
Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
2. Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#3 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

Thanks. Here's the link.http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FDGTyhV6UBoDrrTc0lXDzPi

The USB ports that currently contain flash drives do not show up in peripherals, and neither does the card reader, which currently has an SD card. Also, I'm not sure why it says (in the motherboard section) all the PCI slots are in use. I can see 4 of them (supposedly there are 5) and I have a card in only one -- it's a four port USB hub. Or maybe it's refering to something else.

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

Your voltages look good. Please go to the following link and update the USB drivers and any other drivers that can be updated. Let me know if any changes.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3H-rev-10#support-dl-driver-usb30

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#5 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

The information that appears when starting the update says it's for second general processors, and mine is fourth generation. Will that matter?

Thanks

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

Are you trying to download directly from the link I provided. What is the make and model of your computer to verify please?

#7 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:52 AM

Yes, direct download.

ibuypower -- don't know model. Is from  around  2013-14

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:13 AM

"I think this might have been caused by a lightning strike. Is there a way to know? There was one at our house"

The key to what happens if there is a lightning strike or a major power disturbance is in understanding that it is the sudden voltage differential between connections that causes destruction.  We saw literally hundreds of PC's in the days of dialup where there was a hole blown in the modem where the main chip used to be and, in that era, it was the phone line that wound up umpty-ump gazillion volts different than the earth ground in the PC causing the explosion.  Your KVM switch or, most especially, if you had a printer plugged into a USB port will have been the path the lightning took and I suspect it took out your USB controller which will be part of the B75 chipset and I suspect the controller for the PCI slots has also been hit.

If I were you, I'd replace the system board.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=b75m-d3&_sacat=0

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#9 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

"...Your KVM switch or, most especially, if you had a printer plugged into a USB port will have been the path the lightning took and I suspect it took out your USB controller which will be part of the B75 chipset and I suspect the controller for the PCI slots has also been hit.

If I were you, I'd replace the system board."

Thanks. The usb-connected printer was the other casualty -- won't power on.

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

I agree the lightning probably caused this issue. Did it work correctly before it hit. Make sure you always use good surge protectors with your computers to help prevent damage from lightning, and other electrical issues.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:38 PM

Then there you go; the surge or lightning reacted differently in the printer and the differential was in the USB cable to the PC.  If I think there is lightning in our area, I unplug all of the network wires just to be safe and shutdown my PC, turning off the Isobar (best made) power strip.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

... I suspect it took out your USB controller which will be part of the B75 chipset and I suspect the controller for the PCI slots has also been hit.

If I were you, I'd replace the system board.

Is there a way to be sure the controllers are damaged?

Would the empty PCI slots also be affected?

I might be better off with a new PC with better specs, but I like my old one. I just don't want to waste a lot of time trying to fix or test something that can't be fixed without a new board.

To answer a previous question - everything was fine before the lightning. The only reason I didn't immediately assume it was lightning was the computer had restarted randomly the previous week and I had wondered if there was problem with the power supply. I didn't know about the printer at the time. Most of the equipment was on a surge protector strip, but for some reason the printer was on an old one that might not have been working.

I appreciate all the suggestions and comments.

Edited by Elaine38, 25 July 2018 - 08:26 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

Does a USB mouse and keyboard work when you are in your UEFI firmware? If yes then the ports are good. I'm not sure from your first post if your USB keyboard does not work in UEFI. If they don't work there then I would say the ports are damaged.

#14 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

Does a USB mouse and keyboard work when you are in your UEFI firmware? If yes then the ports are good. I'm not sure from your first post if your USB keyboard does not work in UEFI. If they don't work there then I would say the ports are damaged.

I don't think they did, but I should check again when the computer isn't busy.  Thanks

Edited by Elaine38, 25 July 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#15 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

Going into the BIOS (which it still calls itself, so I do), it had previously not recognized the USB devices in the couple of ports I had tried.

Update:

Because so many web sites mention it, I took out the battery to reset the BIOS. I checked for all settings related to keeping the USB devices available.

I can now use a USB mouse on the PCI USB ports I previously added if I don't have another USB device in another of those ports (at least not a flash drive). I don't know if it was a coincidence or because I took the battery out, since I had not tried that particular configuration before. I have not tried the USB keyboard yet. I still have some things to check.

Having a mouse and keyboard with no other USB devices isn't enough, but it's better than before.

In case I didn't mention it before -- the other USB ports have power -- the mouse lights up-- but flash drives aren't recognized and the mouse doesn't work in most of them.

I appreciate all the help!

Edited by Elaine38, 31 July 2018 - 07:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users