Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 wont boot from SSD, will boot from HDD, how can I repair the SSD wind

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 asaper

asaper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:11 PM

Hi everyone, as the title says I have two hard drives installed into my computer. After restarting the computer last night the bios load, then the ASUS logo appears in which nothing happens, it just hangs.

Every now and then it shows text saying "attempting repair" followed by "repair failed" and the windows install wont boot. If I launch my old windows install that is on my slow 1TB HDD the computer boots fine and I can see and access all my files on the SSD just fine so Im thinking something is wrong with the boot section from my SSD W10 install.

I tried system restore but that didnt help, booting into safe mode fails and I dont have access to a W10 disc to try to reinstall the OS.

Basically, how can I use the HDD Windows 10 to repair the booting process on my Windows 10 SSD install?

Not sure if it matters but specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X370 Pro

PSU: Corsair HX 750

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

RAM: 32gb DDR4

HDD: 1TB

SSD: 500gb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:19 PM

If you have a Windows disk or USB with Windows 10 on it, you can boot to the Windows media (change the boot order in BIOS) and enter the Repair my computer then "troubleshooting" select command prompt. Type these commands in the command prompt box.  : 

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

Bootrec /scanos

bootrec /rebuildbcd

I recommend unplugging your old mechanical drive, before trying this procedure. That way you won't make the mistake of selecting the wrong drive. 

Edited by Mason21, 20 July 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#3 asaper

asaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

If you have a Windows disk or USB with Windows 10 on it, you can boot to the Windows media (change the boot order in BIOS) and enter the Repair my computer then "troubleshooting" select command prompt. Type these commands in the command prompt box.  : 

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

Bootrec /scanos

bootrec /rebuildbcd

I recommend unplugging your old mechanical drive, before trying this procedure. That way you won't make the mistake of selecting the wrong drive. 

Hi Mason21, thanks for the fast reply! The first command entered sucessfully, the second said access denied, third scanned correctly, fourth asked for confirmation, when I said Y (yes) it failed but it seems the first command fixed it and I am up and running again! Thanks for the help, that fixed it!

#4 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:59 PM

Glad to hear the good news!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users