Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A USB hub that works?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

So I recently purchased this thing ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-USB-2-0-Hi-Speed-4-Port-Splitter-Hub-For-PC-Notebook/301586172040?epid=1939398653&hash=item4637efc888%3Ag%3A9xgAAOSw%7ERVaH2fv&_sacat=0&_nkw=Black+USB+2.0+Hi-Speed+4-Port+Splitter+Hub+For+PC+Notebook&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

... and almost immediately, I started having problems with it. Devices I had plugged into the thing would either not work at all (sometimes they would work if I plugged them into another USB socket on this hub, but I shouldn't have to do that), or would randomly stop working like they had been disconnected.

Then after about a week, the whole damn thing stopped working altogether. Literally, just the first week!

is there a USB hub out there that I can trust to work consistently for at least a year after purchase?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:09 PM

I have two of these, one at home, one at work.  They are powered USB3 hubs and the newest is over a year old.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

I have this one, works fine for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YFQ7M88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:55 PM

There are hundreds of USB hubs on the market, most are cheap and rather flimsy.  I paid $25 USD for a 4 port hub and external power supply.  I use it mainly to power external things like fans for the laptop and charging devices.  I never use the USB ports on my PC or laptop for charging anything, only to interface other devices and those devices have their own power sources.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:32 PM

And lurking in the background are the requirements for USB devices.  The device is supposed to get .1 (point-one) amps of 5 volt power so it can identify itself to the host and then the host for USB 2.0 is allowed to provide up to a total of 1 amp (5 watts).  With an unpowered hub, those numbers are for ALL of the devices added together so a keyboard, a mouse, and a flash drive; you're toast (much less use a portable hard drive!).

Things that have there own power supply don't need to be counted; but even a mouse and a keyboard will need a powered USB hub to work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-6-Ports-USB-3-0-Hub-Switcher-5Gbps-for-PC-Computer-Mac-Charging-Power/391736874469?hash=item5b355655e5

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:27 PM

Most machines I have had to service because the user overloaded the USB.  I can't find any that will support more than 500 milliamps (1/2 amp) and it's easy to overload them and difficult to repair, some even vaporize traces off the MOBO.  Some repeat users get traces cut and terminals mounted to install pico fuses to prevent further damage and ease of repair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users