Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot find out the problem with my computer! Its driving me crazy.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

The computer would turn on but no signal going to the monitor. Sometimes, the computer would turn on and there was no signal going to the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I run a FULL SCAN with Kapersky antivirus an there was no virus in any of the 3 hard drives. Finally, the other day everything was fine until I tried to connect a pair of headphones to the back of my desktop. When I was connecting the headphone I kind of push the desktop with my elbow and I lost the signal to the monitor. I adjusted the cable monitor but still no signal. I have not been able to use my desktop for 2 weeks. What could be the problem? What should I do?

This are my components:

1) GPU : PowerColor PCS+ AMD Radeon HD 7870 Myst. Edition 2 GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/2Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E 

2) PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W (New, I changed the old one because I thought it was the problem)

3) Processor: Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P 

4) RAM: 16 GB

5) Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-B75M-D3H

I had it check by 2 people, one is a friend that used to build computers a long time ago and the other one is my gamer friend that build computers as a hobby:

Friend .- Said the PSU was faulty. Then he also said there was a problem either with the processor or the connection of the motherboard to the processor.

Gamer Friend.- I gave him my computer. Told me connected his PSU and the machine worked. Dediced to buy the new PSU you guys see up there. He reinstalled Windows 10 Pro. When I took the computer to my house, it immediatly started presenting the same problem (it did not work even once). He came back to my house and proceded to disconnect and reconnect the GPU. Then he disconnected GPU, Sound Card, RAM. Nothing, the computer would turn on and off, sometimes it would stay on just a little bit longer. Long enough to see the BIOS screen. Then it would turn off. The he tried to reset the bios with a paper clip. For a while it worked, the machine stayed on. We left the machine on for 10 minutes and turned it off. Again the problem of turning on and off. He does not know where the problem lies because apparently my motherboard does not have the small speaker that emits sound to tell you what the problem is (the guy I mentioned previously said the same thing). In the end he told me "Man, I do not know what happened. In my house it worked with a new PSU, everything was fine. I reinstalled everything. The only thing that I can tell you is that I was lucky and you need to change motherboard, CPU and new RAM." He recommended me buying this

·         Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor $178

·          

·         GIGABYTE B360M DS3H (LGA1151/Intel/Micro ATX/USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0) Type A/DDR4/Motherboard) $68

16 GB RAM - The cheapest I can find DDR4.

Kind of bum out the computer only felt short of 5 years. It only lasted 49 months. When I built it, I was planning for it to last 10 years, and keep update with only a new GPU. Getting married right now, paying for a house, honey moon etc. Did no want to spend money on my hobby....  I am not a big PC gamers. Only play on PC for certain firs person shooters (was planning on buying Wolfenstein 2, Prey, Rage 2 and Doom Eternal) and any RTS released by Paradox. However, I did love working on my 27" ASUS led monitor instead of my 14" Lenovo laptop. I do not know what to do now. Maybe just buy an ultra dock to connect the laptop to the monitor? I mean, even if I fix my desktop right now, I will not be buying a new GPU right away, I would be using the old one. The GPU right now are really expensive.

Edited by jcgonzmo, 20 July 2018 - 10:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

I'm guessing that you are using the VGA connection between the motherboard and the monitor?

Have you tried a different monitor?

Have you tried removing your GPU and use the onboard graphics to rule out the GPU as the problem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

1) Yes we are

2) No we have not. How could a monitor affect that the computer tuns on and off?

3) We did but find out that my motherboard does not have integrated video card.

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:33 PM

The Gigabyte B360M DS3H does on onboard graphics.  The information below is a direct quote for the website listed below.

B360M DS3H (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Onboard Graphics

Integrated Graphics Processor-Intel® HD Graphics support:

1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz

2. 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
    * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.

3. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@30 Hz
    * Support for HDMI 1.4 version and HDCP 2.2.

Support for up to 3 displays at the same time
Maximum shared memory of 1 GB

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

That is the new one my friend was suggesting. This is the one I have Gigabyte LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-B75M-D3H

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

This are my components:

1) GPU : PowerColor PCS+ AMD Radeon HD 7870 Myst. Edition 2 GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/2Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E 

2) PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W (New, I changed the old one because I thought it was the problem)

3) Processor: Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P 

4) RAM: 16 GB

5) Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-B75M-D3H

The following can be seen at    GA-B75M-D3H (rev. 1.1) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A.

GA-B75M-D3H

Onboard Graphics

Integrated Graphics Processor:

1. 1 x D-Sub port

2. 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
    * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.

3. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200

Edited by dc3, 20 July 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#7 jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:30 PM

I have a laptop to work with right now. Are the prices alright now, or should I wait for Black Friday?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

You will need to do your own shopping.  I build my own computers and have no idea when would be the best time look for a good bargain.  Traditionally Black Friday sales occur around the holidays.  Google may be a good start for a search.

#9 jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

By the way something funny happened yesterday while I was doing the new build. I bought a new PSU, motherboard and processor. Worked perfectly. Then I plug in my old GPU with the old DVI cable I was using. Did not work. Changed the DVI cable with a new one. It worked perfectly.

Apparently I ended up doing a new build, an the problem was a $6 cable.

Now I am not sure if the original PSU was actually the problem......... I still have the old board, RAM and CPU that apparently still work. The problem is that the old CPU does not have an integrated graphics card, so I cant test it.

The GPU only have for DVI and HDMI connection. The other type of connection like VGA do not know how to do it if the  CPU does not hace an integrated GPU.

Edited by jcgonzmo, 07 August 2018 - 11:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users