Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Not responding' messages

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Robin1966

Robin1966

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Hi guys, I installed Windows 10 late last year, on the advice of my brother who said that Windows 7 is increasingly not being supported anymore. I find it's okay-ish, but nowhere near as good as Windows 7, yet - perhaps I am missing something here.

One thing that particularly irks me is the tendency for my browsers to slow (every so often) and an apparent inability of the computer to work with MS Office, particularly Word 2016. So I sometimes get browsers slowing (usually I use Firefox and Chrome) with the odd 'not responding' message. However, with Word 2016, this is regular occurrence - 'not responding' messages, with occasional freezing. This morning, the computer freezed altogether, and I couldn't even restart with the on/off button, forcing me to switch off at the wall. Over the past hour I've used Task Manager to reduce the programmes that open automatically on startup, and I went through various things yesterday to try and up the speed somewhat. The Word 2016 problem though is a major pain. Any ideas what might be happening and how to fix it?

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:25 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It would help if you would provide us with some more information about this computer, such as... what is the the make and model of this computer?

What is the Version and Build of Windows 10?  To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver, then press Enter.  Post this information in your topic.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Robin1966

Robin1966
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

Thanks, here we go, although I opened the URL in a new browser window rather than clipboard, but this is the URL: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8PEs8GNNRnDOcQtBK7RIxp3

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

I didn't see anything in the Speccy that would concern me.  But I would suggest increasing your RAM to 8GB.  There are two reasons for this, one... it will make your computer perform quicker, two... with two RAM modules populated properly the computer will run in dual channel.  The benefit of dual channel is that this basically doubles the throughput speed making response time shorter.  For the best results you should run a matched pair of RAM modules, I was able to get the specific module information from the Speccy, you can purchase this module a Newegg for $30.00 US dollars.  Adding this RAM could help resolve some of the issues you are experiencing, or at the very least make the computer faster.

As for the browser/s, have you changed how you are connected online?  A new router, new internet service provider?

Is there any difference if you use a Ethernet cable opposed to wifi?

How did you acquire Windows 10?  Did you purchase this version of Windows or use a upgrade?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:39 AM

Additionally, what types of websites are you visiting which don't respond, and do they eventually respond?

#6 Robin1966

Robin1966
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

Thanks, the RAM issue makes sense as I've had such issues before, when I was using Windows 7, although that seemed to be far better coping with it somehow. I am basically a freelance journalist so I tend to have several windows open at one time, like now for instance - from the left, on Firefox, Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, Twitter analytics page, Google Calendar, Renewable Energy Magazine (REM - the website I write for), REM administrator (for posting up the articles), web resizer (for cropping and altering pictures to the right size for posting on REM). Sometimes I also have my Trello window open as well if I am going through my list of pitches to editors, and all that's without various other windows when I am looking at company press pages, mainstream media news articles, etc etc. Also, when I am writing for REM I have internet explorer open as well as when I am posting to links to articles on Twitter, I have my own personal Twitter account and the REM Twitter account open at the same time, other wise it's just a hassle logging in and out continually of each account.

We're with BT Internet, and fairly satisfied with them actually, so I doubt we would changed. We investigated the router late last year and BT confirmed it is the best one for our particular needs so that's unlikely to change either.

I purchased Windows 10 directly from Microsoft and some guy from India installed it directly onto my computer using this remote access procedure where they take over control of your computer and just get on with it right in front of your eyes.

I'll copy your recommendation and pass it on to this really switched on computer guy I know in Weston who is probably the best computer engineer I've come across and hopefully he should be able to sort out the RAM issue for me.

Much appreciated, thanks for that. :)

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:58 AM

I get this often.

screenshot_52.jpg

It lasts up to 3 seconds.

Sometimes on Opera browser too.

I Googled it & it seems to happen on Windows 10.

I have found no solution yet.

Maybe Microsoft will fix it ?

edit---

screenshot_52.jpg

Edited by medab1, 20 July 2018 - 02:18 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

With lots of web pages open, depending on what sites are being viewed, some of those tabs may be engaging servers on the net. Even simple sites, like Gmail, are constantly checking their web servers for new mail, for new ads to display, to see if you’re available for chat, to see who’s logged in and logged out, and other tasks. If you have a lot open tabs doing then this could add up.

By the way, I usually will have six or seven websites open at any given time and I don't get these messages.

Edited by dc3, 20 July 2018 - 12:38 PM.

#9 Robin1966

Robin1966
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:09 PM

Thanks guys. Really interesting. I'm going to take it in for a checkup anyway I think.

#10 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

Would you mind typing "winver" in the search box and post the results here?  Need to know which build of Windows 10 you are running. 

Edited by Mason21, 20 July 2018 - 01:31 PM.

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:10 AM

Hi, I agree, upgrading from 4gb to 8gb makes a noticeable improvement with 64 bit OS.

Some of this was written as a response on another forum:-

RAM can be operated in Single-Channel Mode or Dual-Channel Mode, but there is no "Single-Channel RAM" or "Dual-Channel RAM". It's just RAM. Whether it runs in Single or Dual channel mode depends on the system and configuration, not on the RAM itself. It is controlled by the memory manager , this is typically now part of the CPU. The performance difference depends on the resources being required, unless highly intensive memory processes are being used the single or dual modes will not perform in any noticeable different ways, testing has shown a 3-5% improvement when dual has been accessed .Gamers will opt for a single 16gb stick over two 8 gb sticks (win 10 memory compression came in with the anniversary update last year, and this changes the ball game).

Speccy is a program I never use, lots of info we don't need and you cannot trust it's HDD diagnostics (especially with SSD's) and why not give us the current window's version, not to mention the sensor readings are from the onboard sensors and these have no standards set, so are usually rubbish.

It does however tell us that you have Malwarebytes (appears from the shown processes to be only the malware scanner and not the quasi AV), provided you disable it from startup and only run it when you want to, it will not do any harm.

Which brings me to:- you have windows defender firewall active and you also most likely have AVG's firewall active, this can and does cause problems.

The i3 processor uses Intel's management engine interface, this has unfettered access to the cpu and also to tcp/ip (it phones home) Avg is not coded with sufficient sophistication to know this, and can cause problems.

Windows Ten is windows as a service and part of this service is to protect you, to this end you do yourself a great disservice by using AVG, Windows defender is vastly superior and integrated into the OS so it does not cause the sort of problems you are now experiencing.

We need the results of the Winver query and you should use AVG's uninstaller (essential) to be rid of it, use windows defender and windows defender firewall.

https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlname=How-to-uninstall-AVG

#12 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

Fixed my "not responding" messages. :)

I uninstalled Avast.

I don't get the messages now.

CPU usage shrank to about 9% on average---

screenshot_52.jpg

Windows Defender turned on automatically. :)

screenshot_52.jpg

Before I removed Avast I made a system image with Macrium Reflect.

I can't stress enough how important it is to make complete system images for reinstalling if something goes wrong.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#13 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:05 PM

Many hours later still no "not responding" messages from any program since removing Avast. :)

#14 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

Many hours later still no "not responding" messages from any program since removing Avast. :)

My friend had similar problem and after removing Avast whole system started to function properly and there was big increase in performance. I always recommend removing Avast and replacing it with better security solution like Avira or ESET. Anyway, I'm glad that you solved the problem.

HrcaA3000

#15 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:48 PM

My friend had similar problem and after removing Avast whole system started to function properly and there was big increase in performance. I always recommend removing Avast and replacing it with better security solution like Avira or ESET. Anyway, I'm glad that you solved the problem.

HrcaA3000

I really believe not adding antivirus programs is needed.

I do use Malwarebytes which is not an antivirus program.

So far it has caused no conflicts with Windows Defender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users