Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 user - general software "why" question: Snipping Tool

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:34 PM

The Snipping Tool that comes with Windows 10 has an option to "automatically save snips to clipboard". I discovered that, when using WhatsApp on my PC, I can take a screen-shot and simply Paste it into the text area and hit enter - Done.

Nothing else to do. No useless .PNG file saved just so I can post it in one communication. No finding the file in File Explorer so I can post it. No extra hosting service needed (with 6 different choices of how to post it into an on-line communication). No going back and cleaning up useless files.

So I thought maybe I'd just never known about this. I went and tried to Paste directly into Messenger, it doesn't work. A file has to be saved and then...you know the rest. 

I needed to post a few screen shots here the other day and it got me wondering; why all the steps of saving to a hosting service and then posting a link via special code just so someone with a question can add in a picture, (often better than a tedious description) and say "this bleeping thing!"?

It seems like a problem begging for a fix to me. But I'm a late-comer to digital tech stuff and realize there must be some reason; something I do not know. 

Why can't I simply Paste the contents of my clipboard into bleepingcomputer questions/answers forum? And why not make it work that way?

As always, thank you for your time. 

Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:17 AM

You can paste in pictures from the web.

415212-16e.png

The one next is copied from my old website---

NEWBANNER1B.jpg

But I cannot paste in an image from my computer saved to clipboard.

screenshot_52.jpg

The above picture was obtained with Print Screen key.

It wouldn't paste in so I used Postimage to annotate & upload it to get a url for it.

Once a picture is on the net it can be copied & pasted here.

There must be a way for this site to access your clipboard for copies of pictures other than those already on the net.

Maybe a site person will explain things.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:33 AM

"Why can't I simply Paste the contents of my clipboard into bleepingcomputer questions/answers forum? And why not make it work that way?"

I think that the simple answer is money. Bleeping Computer does not have the money to host all of the images. Some forums do that but Bleeping Computer does not.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:46 AM

You need a specific image extension to post an image in a topic.  To post an image from imgur for example, you would need an extension specifically for message boards and forums using BBCode. 

Example: 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/QrpqkPZ.png[/img]

These codes are available from image host websites.

Bleeping Computer does provide a method of posting an image from your stored pictures on your computer.

How to post an image in your topic

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

It should be noted that there are certain forums here where you can't post a image.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:52 PM

Hosting the images isn't really the issue, it is just the current forum technology doesn't support. 

The good news, is that when we upgrade the forums it will support it. So we just need to be patient until I get it done, which may be a few months out.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

Thank you for the response and clearing this up for us. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:30 PM

A raw screenshot is ok.

I like adding arrows & boxes & text so the picture is easy to understand.

Or crop it.

Each to their own. :)

Edited by medab1, 20 July 2018 - 04:34 PM.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

I ditched the Snip tool a long time ago and moved on to Greenshot.  The main issue I have with the Snip too is that you can't take snap shots of drop downs.  When creating documentation this is normal thing that is needed.  It does have issues with certain programs, Active Directory Users and Computers is one I've noticed.  I just have to make another window active before I can take a screen shot.

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

You can do dropdown menus with Print Screen key.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:15 PM

You can do dropdown menus with Print Screen key.

Yes, but then you get all of your monitors.  I'm down to two at work, but still have three at home.  Greenshot is what Snip should have been.

#11 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:22 AM

Lots of great info. thanks so much everyone!  I'm off to try greenshot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users