Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Cursor started 7/18/18 Win7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pashweetie

Pashweetie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

Lately I've had an issue with my graphics card where whenever I don't disable the graphics driver the computer boots into a black screen. Using the computer works such as logging into my user account and sometimes I can get it to briefly show my desktop, however besides the personalization window nothing else shows when opened and when I attempt to open the task manager the screen returns to its black state with a cursor. I noticed that my pagefile.sys had grown to a maximum 61 gigs when i finally booted it up in safe mode (which also works). I believe my computer did this after the 7/12/18 windows update but im not sure. I'm pretty sure that the GPU is fine because techpower GPU-Z works can tell me my graphics card module and everything. 

I have a corsair error that pops up every time I normal boot as well due to having my graphics drivers disabled. Similar to this error.

"Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat..."

Another thing thats strange is that i seem to be running of my GPU without the driver because I am plugged into my DVI ports from my GTX 760 instead of anything with the intel board.

Any ideas help I've found nothing online with the same issue (other blackscreens were caused by different things)

Direct X also returned no display problems

I can currently normal boot and safe mode boot but I can only normal boot with the Nvidia graphics drivers disabled

What I've tried
Updating graphics driver
Rolling back graphics driver
Rolling back windows update
System Restore (got an error)
System Repair
Memory Diagnostics

What has (sort of) worked
Disabling/Uninstalling graphics driver (allows me to boot in normal mode however my multi-monitor support is gone and obviously the hardware accelleration)

Graphics card info below

5da5a701a260e47311243d61ef1a7e92.png

3303ee58bfc8a7797ba0325c1b9f3803.png

Edited by Pashweetie, 19 July 2018 - 04:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

I would boot into safe mode and see if the problem occurs there.

Louis

#3 Pashweetie

Pashweetie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:50 PM

I already have it works. Even with the graphics card driver enabled. However safe mode I am pretty sure doesn't even load in my graphics driver.

Edited by Pashweetie, 19 July 2018 - 04:08 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,893 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

Well...I don't know much...but that would say to me that I either have installed the wrong graphics driver for my GPU...or the driver currently installed by me is damaged.

When the system is booted into safe mode...the driver installed is the Windows default graphics driver...which seems to work as expected.

Louis

#5 Pashweetie

Pashweetie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

Yeah i think its a compatibility issue with the most recent windows update but :/. The driver was installed in multiple ways, I trust it over windows anyways.

#6 Pashweetie

Pashweetie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

The solution was that my graphics driver decided that defaulting to my 3rd monitor was a good idea even though its never turned on and its never been set as a default. Boy do I feel dumb.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users