Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead laptop battery repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twi_x

twi_x

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

does anyone know how can I repair dead laptop battery without opening and damaging. More precisely can anyone explain me which tool and software is used to flash her (EEPROM) memory ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:09 PM

Batteries are not repairable.

If you are referring to the laptop's power battery, most are held in place with a couple of spring loaded finger clips, just slide the clips sideways. some are located with two screws, undo the screws and it will slide out. Some - Lenovo I am looking at you - are internal and cannot be accessed without at least partially dismantling the laptop.

If you are referring to the CMOS battery - typically a CR2032 lithium cell - these are always internally mounted and replacing them may involve anything from undoing one or two screws and removing an access panel to a complete teardown just to get at them.

I don't understand the connection between faulty batteries and flashing an EEPROM.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 twi_x

twi_x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for your reply. You are some beginner in the world of computers as soon as you do not know about the repair of batteries. What have you repaired so far?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for your reply. You are some beginner in the world of computers as soon as you do not know about the repair of batteries. What have you repaired so far?

I would suggest that you think before you post.

Someone with in excess of 6500 posts, that is a member of staff here (as am I), knows more, a lot more, about computers and their intricacies than you do.  The reply you received, and your response to it, clearly indicates this is the case.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:51 PM

twi_x, many competent computer technicians have no reason to be aware of the internal intricacies of smart batteries, charge controllers or SMBus management.

But why would any who are aware, be motivated to offer help when they've seen the first responder get a dose of cynical rudeness?

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users