Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Ideapad 320 no internet access

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jsflaw20

jsflaw20

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:44 AM

My problem has a rather baffling set of facts, so I’ll try and parse them out in an organized way before piecing them together:

• My new laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 320-15IAP, refurbished, running Windows 10) connects to my work wifi network, but doesn’t usually get internet access in my office (on one occasion I managed to connect for several minutes, with some interruptions to the connection, but otherwise, it’s been a few seconds at most and then it doesn’t return).
  • My laptop connects to the internet seemingly everywhere else on the same network. I can walk about two or three yards down the hall and connect just fine. The problem is contained to my office, and perhaps directly adjacent offices (when I say “my office,” picture a room that’s about 20 x 40 ft.).
  • Every other device (coworkers’ devices, my smartphone, my previous laptop) connects to the internet successfully in this office--and in the case of my smartphone and my previous laptop, connects at my desk.
  • My laptop has connected to every other wifi network to which I have access without a hitch.

Here’s why I’m confused. Standard troubleshooting thinking suggests that if other devices connect properly, it’s a problem with your device, not the network. On the other hand, if your device connects to other networks properly, it’s a problem with the network, not your device. But both things are true for me, so it can’t be either one. This suggests that there’s something in my little area that is interfering with the connection, but this theory is seemingly belied by the fact that I have never had a problem with either my old laptop or my smartphone in the exact same spot. It seems that there’s something unique to my Ideapad that’s causing the problem, but again, the Ideapad doesn’t have a problem anywhere that I’ve tested outside of a few measly square yards. I wonder if this might have something to do with a subpar refurbishment, but this problem is way too narrow for me to even fully buy that explanation.

FYI, I consider myself a pretty competent user but not particularly tech-savvy when it comes to the ins and outs of things (minimal experience with both IT and programming). Any help would be appreciated because this is a real head-scratcher for me.

By the way, just so that we can get to the meat of things, suggested solutions I’ve already tried include:

• Rebooting
  • Deleting and re-installing my wifi driver
  • Updating my driver
  • Switching to other compatible drivers; I’m hesitant to switch to a driver that isn’t compatible because I don’t want to create new problems, and this driver is working just fine everywhere else.
  • Running several different command prompts (ipconfig, netsch, other stuff that was recommended in my hours of Googling)
  • Disabling wifi on my laptop and re-enabling it
  • Forgetting the network and then reconnecting
  • Uninstalling McAfee (apparently McAfee has caused related problems for other Windows 10 users so I thought I’d give it a shot)
  • Running Windows’s built-in network troubleshooter more times than I can count
  • Probably some other stuff, but that’s all that comes to mind right now

None of this has resulted in any change.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

An interesting problem, especially given the history with other devices.

The only possibility that occurs to me is that there is some weakness in the signal in the immediate area of your desk. If this combined with a perhaps weaker than average wifi unit in your laptop it might give the effects you are seeing. Signal weaknesses could be caused by interference from others or some quirk of the structure of your building and not all wifi units are equal.

Just to test this you could try disabling the on-board wifi and using an external wifi dongle and see if that makes any difference. I admit I am guessing but given what you have said about the laptop working everywhere else and other devices working at your work station then it is at least a possibility and a reasonable explanation. Can you use an ethernet connection at your desk ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users