Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Get Mcafee to uninstall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zg1286

zg1286

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

Uninstalled through add/remove programs

Then ran McAfee removal tool downloaded from link from this site.

Got error that it could not remove everything.

Log: is extremely long and is notepad format

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2018 - 11:22 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

Sometimes Revo Uninstaller tells me some things can't be uninstalled until I reboot.

This happens in ordinary uninstall not forced uninstall.

Maybe you should reboot.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:14 AM

I think you received the cannot remove everything because many of the items were not found, probably because you did the normal uninstall first. I would boot to safe mode and run the tool again. 

You can also do the following to look for anything Mcafee.

Download AutoRuns and do a search for Mcafee. Uncheck anything related to Mcafee. Reboot and if the computer runs fine go back and highlight the entries. Click the red X to remove.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Download Everything and do the same search.

https://www.voidtools.com/

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 July 2018 - 10:14 AM.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:19 AM

Out of curiosity what do you see and/or why do you think McAfee has NOT been uninstalled?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 bellgamin

bellgamin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:51 PM

You can get a Mcafee uninstaller for Mcafee AV directly FROM Mcafee at HERE. (NOTE: This link goes directly to the download. If I am breaking a rule by doing it this way, will a Mod please fix it & let me know. I didn't have another link except the one I gave here.)

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

20-20 hindsight------

I heartily recommend using an uninstaller app that monitors DURING THE INSTALLATION of any new software. Soft Organizer does this, as does Total Uninstall. These are the only 2 I am familiar with but I am sure there are others. Monitored installation is especially important when installing security apps -- some of them are notoriously difficult to uninstall unless the installation was monitored.

P.S. -- If you are just giving a security app a quick try, I recommend doing it on a virtual machine or else do a pre-install image of your computer.

Edited by bellgamin, 22 July 2018 - 09:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users