Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ditching Windows: 2 Weeks With Ubuntu Linux On The Dell XPS 13

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

A few weeks ago during a time-sensitive 350GB file transfer, Windows 10 rebooted without warning. When the OS restarted I was greeted with an infuriating blue screen that had become all too familiar. No, not that infuriating blue screen. The one that declares "Working On Updates." It was, as they say, the last straw. After two decades of relying on Windows I finally decided it was time for the nuclear option

Closing Thoughts

Will I create my music using Linux? No, I'll stick to Logic Pro X on the Mac for that. Will I benchmark new games and graphics cards on Linux? Nope, although Steam on Linux has a very healthy selection of games to enjoy now, thanks in part to Valve's earlier SteamOS efforts and Steam Box push. However, this is absolutely my new daily driver for writing, working, communicating, browsing and media consumption.

I'll also stress very emphatically that this is one guy's experience, but it's been an overwhelmingly positive one. I'm not trying to sell you on Ubuntu, so I haven't wasted precious paragraphs towing the Canonical PR line or listing all the technical features. View it more as an informal journal of the journey. As a tech journalist I know that writing about Linux doesn't exactly bring in the clicks, but said journey has been so refreshing I felt compelled to cover it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/07/19/ditching-windows-2-weeks-with-ubuntu-linux-on-the-dell-xps-13/#6d1dd1c31836

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

Just goes to show...

Those pesky Redmond updates will crack even the toughest Windoze 'nut'!!! :lol: :lol:

Mike. :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

Nice quote John, thanks!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

It's the lack of control over your updates with W10, that mostly drove me away from Windows as well John.

I've still got W8.1 on one of my machines, but once that is no longer supported I'll no doubt be going 100% Linux.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

It's the lack of control over your updates with W10, that mostly drove me away from Windows as well John.

I've still got W8.1 on one of my machines, but once that is no longer supported I'll no doubt be going 100% Linux.

Same with me. Once 8.1 support is gone, so am I.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

Luckily for me also, that I have three Windows 8 machines, and sold another to a guy that doesn't know it is like gold!, had a good i5 in it also.  One has Windows 7 Pro on it but will move to 8 in good time if I have too.  The next one actually has Windows 10 on it so I can become familiar with W10.  The next is a laptop that indeed has Windows 8.1 on it, which I love, with an SSD!  Most people want Windows 10!...what the heck is wrong with people lol.

Only have two linux machines now, sold the rest off to some good linux folks.

I've had good luck with W10, but  the only machines I like running it on have good power, like Intel i5 with plenty of RAM.  And I'm not like the Author of that article, as in I don't depend on Windows 10, that for now is relegated to my Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 machines.  Like Britechguy always says, all OS's have problems, but the Update or Upgrade process is not good enough for me.  I simply don't like the philosophy of it all.

Ahhh...it's nice to have a place to complain about Windows 10, haha.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

I have a couple of desktops with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10  they set on the shelf and never get used and I never have problems with Windows.  :P

I guess with Windows 10 it just depends on how much crap a user is willing to put up with from Microsoft.  :smash:   :lol:  

I like my Linux it does what I need on my old desktop computers I already have and I don't have to buy any new ones that will crap out in a few years.  :thumbup2:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

I have a couple of desktops with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10  they set on the shelf and never get used and I never have problems with Windows.  :P

:hysterical:

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:58 AM

Like Britechguy always says, all OS's have problems, but the Update or Upgrade process is not good enough for me.  I simply don't like the philosophy of it all.

My only real complaint with W10 updates is that the User is not properly in control, and really they need to be. For the majority of people, and for most of the time, an auto-update, no control policy works fine, but there are a number of situations when it just doesn't, and all W10 Users should be able to select when updates are installed, and be able to defer any that are "known" to cause problems, until the problems have been resolved.

Ahhh...it's nice to have a place to complain about Windows 10, haha.

Yes, there's nothing like a good old moan to set you up for the day.  :thumbup2:

Edited by Gary R, 20 July 2018 - 02:59 AM.

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

My only real complaint with W10 updates is that the User is not properly in control, and really they need to be. For the majority of people, and for most of the time, an auto-update, no control policy works fine, but there are a number of situations when it just doesn't, and all W10 Users should be able to select when updates are installed, and be able to defer any that are "known" to cause problems, until the problems have been resolved.

Yep a user needs to have complete control as to how and when and what updates are to be installed especially with Windows 10 as often as new updates seem to brick many working computers.

At least if a user has full control of what updates are installed then the user will know which update creates a problem if a problem does occur. :thumbup2:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

And yet, and yet . . .

Four months ago we bought my wife a new laptop which inevitably had Win 10 on it. so the first thing I did after we got it home was do a full clean install of 10 which removed all the pre-installed crap and then I loaded her applications and restored her data. I also dialed back the privacy settings as far as possible and just left her using it. And since then we (I) have had no problems with it. Even the 1803 update went in without a hiccup. I say 'I' have had no problems with it because in the event of any problems the cry goes up "There's something wrong with my computer, you  will need to fix it !". And I don't even get paid for being her SysAdmin.

Although I do agree I would prefer more control over updates.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:28 PM

Personally, I could not deal with these semi-annual 3 to 4GB upgrades that take your settings back to square one. An OS should be in the background to run programs that you choose and those that you do not want easily uninstalled. Now looking at what Windows 10 thinks you should have and requiring powershell to remove them only for them to return at the next upgrade, I think I'll pass.

Drawboard PDF

Farmville 2: Country Escape

Asphalt: Airborne

Pandora

Candy Crush Soda Saga

Microsoft Solitaire Collection

Twitter

Sports

Money

Get Office

News

Phone Companion

Windows Holographic

Netflix

Weather

View 3D Preview

Movies & TV

3D Builder

Facebook

Get Skype

Skype Preview

App Connector

Microsoft Wallet

Sway

Groove Music

Xbox

Xbox Game Speech Window

Xbox One SmartGlass

People

Mixed Reality

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:19 PM

Drawboard PDF

Asphalt: Airborne

Pandora

Candy Crush Soda Saga

Microsoft Solitaire Collection

Twitter

Sports

Money

Get Office

News

Phone Companion

Windows Holographic

Netflix

Weather

View 3D Preview

Movies & TV

3D Builder

Facebook

Get Skype

Skype Preview

App Connector

Microsoft Wallet

Sway

Groove Music

Xbox

Xbox Game Speech Window

Xbox One SmartGlass

People

Mixed Reality

All useless garbage imo.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

Wow, good point John

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:23 AM

Personally, I could not deal with these semi-annual 3 to 4GB upgrades that take your settings back to square one. An OS should be in the background to run programs that you choose and those that you do not want easily uninstalled. Now looking at what Windows 10 thinks you should have and requiring powershell to remove them only for them to return at the next upgrade, I think I'll pass.

Couldn't agree more, John.

As you & Gary say, the OS is simply a platform to enable you to run applications.

To me, MS are taking completely the wrong attitude with Win 10. They appear to want it to occupy centre stage.....to be the overwhelming reason for you to turn your machine on in the first place. And despite having agreements in place with the majority of manufacturers that their OS will be installed without question (due, no doubt, to either back-handers, or subtle pressure of the kind that can only be exerted by a corporation with more money than God, and a legal dept with a bigger budget than most small nation-states), they also seem to think that they have the God-given right to dictate what you can & can't do with your hardware.

What overweening arrogance.

Because, as we all know, without the software to run on it, your hardware is pretty useless on its own. M$ still hanker after the days when they were absolute top dog, and nobody else even got a look-in...

Drawboard PDF

Asphalt: Airborne.....

<snip>

.....Xbox One SmartGlass

People

Mixed Reality

Jeez, what a load of utter garbage.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 July 2018 - 06:27 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users