Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error 601

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mhoss49

mhoss49

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

My granddaughter did a factory reset on windows 7 laptop. Now can not connect to network, either by wifi or ethernet. I have done some research and one possibility was in windows 32 folder is the RASpppoe.sys missing. However her laptop shows same size as my windows 7 laptop. Is her laptop done for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

Seems to be a battery thing---

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=error+601&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I could be wrong.

Another link---

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=RASpppoe.sys&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Edited by medab1, 19 July 2018 - 09:47 AM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 mhoss49

mhoss49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:04 PM

The second choice (651) was what I was looking for. I downloaded to flash drive. When I try to paste into the windows 32 driver file, I get a permission requirement pop up. It does not offer a run as administrator option. Will not let me install raspppoe.sys file. Any ideas? Thanks

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

A screenshot of the permission pop-up would help.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:33 AM

It sounds like the system has two problems:

• the error 601
  • lack of connectivity

First of all the raspppoe.sys file does not go in or belong in the windows 32 folder so if that is where you are looking that is why the file is "missing" - you are not looking in the right place.

The file belongs here:

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   169.48KB   0 downloads

Seconds of all you will not be replacing the file unless you first take ownership of the file and then before replacing the file you should make a copy of the original file so you can undo the adjustment if things do not improve or if things get worse.

I doubt replacing the file will help but here is an article that tells you how to take ownership:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/take-ownership-of-file-or-folder/

The article about error 651 and the advice therein is full of impossible to work ideas such as:

a. Click Start
b. In search window type 'cmd' and Enter. Right click and select 'Run as administrator'.
c. In the command window that opens type regsvr32 raspppoe.sys and press Enter.

Here is what will happen when you follow that bad advice:

Attached File  1.jpg   54.29KB   0 downloads

What that tells you is the person suggesting that idea has not followed their own advice to see if it works or not - and instead of "trying" things you would be better off "doing" things.

Out of curiosity what was the reason a factory reset was performed on the system - what was the issue/problem that compelled you to resort to a factory reset?

I think I would look at visiting the laptop manufacturers WWW support site and download/install the drivers they recommend for the laptop but if the system can't get on the Internet you are going to have to use:

sneakernet

In other words - from a working system download the files/drivers you need, copy them to something like a USB flash drive, carry that to the afflicted system and install them.

You may need to get things like chipset drivers, video, audio, network, wifi drivers and some other things.

I think I would work on getting Internet connectivity first - then if /when you need other things you will be able to download them from the manufacturers WWW site.

If it was a factory reset you may not have to download anything to get the Internet working.  

You may just need to go into your network settings and configure it to work for your environment.

If you need help doing that you need to provide more information about the afflicted system.

Do you have a genuine bootable Windows 7 SP1 installation CD/DVD that matches the installation in need of repair?

What is your system make and model?

If the system is a Dell what is the Service Tag Number?
If the system is an HP what is the serial number?
If the system is an Toshiba what is the serial number?

Edited by joseibarra, 21 July 2018 - 10:27 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 mhoss49

mhoss49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

Thanks. My granddaughter did the recovery.
UGH. I gave up and got rid of laptop.

Edited by mhoss49, 21 July 2018 - 08:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users