Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop is auto shutting down

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kagari

Kagari

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:10 AM

Hello, my laptop (Sony VPCEG23FX) has recently started to auto shutdown (I can verify that it was overheating), however the problem continues to persist after disassembling and cleaning out everything. I know it is not the battery as it still shuts down with just the charger on, and the date/time are up to date so the cmos battery is working. It also continues to persist if some of the RAM or HDD is removed. I have tried cleaning out the laptop three times so far, the first time it was really dusty - I cleaned the fan out with compressed air and replaced the thermal paste on the cpu (just a little drop in the center). Now the laptop just lasts a little longer before shutting down, around 10-20 minutes. This was enough time to get into Windows and download HWmonitor, and the cpu temperatures sit at around 50C with a few spikes to 58C.

This leads me to believe that I fried the cpu/motherboard because the laptop was really overheating before. As for the fan I will buy a replacement soon just to check but I think it is working as it makes noise and blows air out of the shaft. This is very frustrating as I need this laptop for work and I cannot buy a new one in the current situation I am in. Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

58C isn't excessive for a CPU inside a laptop considering that the maximum temperature is 85C.

This computer originally came with Windows 7, have you upgraded this to any other operating system?

If this is still Windows 7 boot into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists there.  If you need instructions for booting into Safe Mode I've posted them below.

After pressing the power button start tapping the F8 key until you see the Advanced Boot Options, this will resemble the image below.

Attached File  advanced boot options w7.PNG   42.28KB   0 downloads

You will need to use the up or down keys to navigate to to Safe Mode, then press Enter to select this option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Kagari

Kagari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

I think I found the problem - I did a hard reset (unplug battery and drain power button for 20sec) and now when I plug the battery in there is no power whatsoever. With the charger plugged in the charger light blinks orange and it only lasts a few seconds before shutting off. Therefore it's the battery that is faulty, I will order a replacement asap.

Thanks for the help but unfortunately I can't get it to turn on long enough to get into windows, but I'm confident that it's the battery now.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:17 PM

In 42 years of fixing these things, I have never once seen a bad battery that caused a laptop to shutdown.  I have seen a flakey ac adapter in combination with a totally dead battery cause it; but, only because the ac adapter could not reliably supply the 19-20 volts the laptop needed and there is a crucial question; does the laptop rudely turn itself off or does it do an organized shutdown?

Also, as TreeHugger asked, is it still running Windows 7 or did you upgrade to 10? (You can tell by the appearance of the Start button. 7 will be a colorful circle, 10 will be four white flag looking rectangles)

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 Kagari

Kagari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

In 42 years of fixing these things, I have never once seen a bad battery that caused a laptop to shutdown.  I have seen a flakey ac adapter in combination with a totally dead battery cause it; but, only because the ac adapter could not reliably supply the 19-20 volts the laptop needed and there is a crucial question; does the laptop rudely turn itself off or does it do an organized shutdown?
Also, as TreeHugger asked, is it still running Windows 7 or did you upgrade to 10? (You can tell by the appearance of the Start button. 7 will be a colorful circle, 10 will be four white flag looking rectangles)

This computer was upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period; sorry I forgot to mention this. However I do not think its a software issue as it happens with the harddrive removed (while in the "operating system not found" screen). If it is not the battery then the only components remaining are the motherboard (z40hr s0203-2) and cpu (sandy bridge i3 2330m). All of the pins on the cpu were intact when I checked it. The motherboard also looks fine to me, there is nothing burnt or broken. I might try replacing the cmos battery as a last resort, but it is risky as it is soldered onto the board. Otherwise it is time for a new computer :/

Edit: And the shutdown is very rude and instant, as if the laptop was overheating/had no power.

Edited by Kagari, 21 July 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

Please do as Louis requested and post the Speccy Snapshot.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png 

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Search icon (magnifying glass) in the Taskbar and type cmd.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Edited by dc3, 21 July 2018 - 11:12 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

Treehugger,

He has said that he cannot reliably get into Windows to do any of that and that the laptop shuts down with the hard disk drive removed, displaying the "operating system not found" message.

Kagari,

I would rather you saw the laptop shut down while in the BIOS as the message you are getting may well invoke a screen timeout or a shutdown after x minutes.

To go further, I have seen two bad Intel CPUs in this century so my bet would be the system board (most call them motherboards).  Check this very carefully against your board!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Vaio-PCG-61A1L-Motherboard-Original-OEM-Tested-laptop-845-4/292623238804?hash=item4421b44694%3Ag%3AxQMAAOSwGIRXZI8E&_sacat=0&_nkw=Sony+pcg61a+motherboard&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0

#9 Kagari

Kagari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:26 PM

I am so sorry for not providing enough technical information, but I can't get into Windows anymore to download speccy. I just tried booting in the Bios, and the same shutdown problem remains - after a few minutes the computer instantly shuts off.

Here is a picture of the motherboard, I hope it is helpful because pictures are the most I can provide at the moment. I removed the black and white aux cables from the WLAN because they were broken awhile ago, but I did not notice any issues then (is the wifi causing the auto shutdown?)
Attached File  image.jpeg   334.18KB   0 downloads

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

The BIOS is not part of the Windows operating system.  If the operating system is the only problematic device you should still be able to boot into the BIOS.  This points to this being a hardware device.  The BIOS is stored in a EEPROM on the motherboard, it there has been a static discharge to the motherboard it could have damaged the BIOS.

You mentioned severed black and white wire on the motherboard.  Did you repair these.  If you did, how did you effect the repair?  I'm beginning to suspect that your motherboard may have multiple problems. 

It may be worth taking the computer to a reputable repair shop to determine if the motherboard is beyond repair.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

dc3,

The board I posted is the same one he mentioned (Z4HR S0203-2) and it may even include a faster CPU.  For $88.80, I don't think you'd even get anybody to troubleshoot that the system board is bad; but, Kagari already has.  No hard drive, different memory, nothing but the base unit itself, and it still shuts down in both the BIOS and the "operating system not found" screen.

Kagari,

I owned and ran a twenty man repair shop for 18 years and have seen or supervised over 150,000 computer repairs.  Given that Intel CPU's are outrageously reliable unless they have been abused, I'd place the odds at 90+% that the board I posted would fix it.

P.S. I use an animal hair paintbrush to clean the dust off of the fan blades which makes the unit a teensy bit cooler and it stays clean a little longer.

#12 Kagari

Kagari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

dc3,
The board I posted is the same one he mentioned (Z4HR S0203-2) and it may even include a faster CPU.  For $88.80, I don't think you'd even get anybody to troubleshoot that the system board is bad; but, Kagari already has.  No hard drive, different memory, nothing but the base unit itself, and it still shuts down in both the BIOS and the "operating system not found" screen.

Kagari,
I owned and ran a twenty man repair shop for 18 years and have seen or supervised over 150,000 computer repairs.  Given that Intel CPU's are outrageously reliable unless they have been abused, I'd place the odds at 90+% that the board I posted would fix it.
P.S. I use an animal hair paintbrush to clean the dust off of the fan blades which makes the unit a teensy bit cooler and it stays clean a little longer.

I will test the motherboard with a multimeter later today, but I do think you're right. A short circuit on the motherboard is causing the shutdown and I will get it replaced. Bought the battery for nothing but oh well, $80 is still better than buying a new one or taking it to a repair shop :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users