Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't start or system restore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 vargint

vargint

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:44 PM

I have a Toshiba Satalite laptop.  There was a virus issue, so I wanted to do a system restore, like i've done a few times in the past.

But it will not go into system restore, or even start now. All I am getting is this strange symbol on the top left corner. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,762 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:02 PM

Hi and welcome.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Boot in the Recovery Environment
  • Plug your USB Flash Drive in the infected computer
  • To enter the Recovery Environment with Windows Vista and Windows 7, follow the instructions below:
    • Restart the computer
    • Once you've seen your BIOS splashscreen (the computer manufacturer logo), tap the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears
    • Use the arrow keys to select Repair your computer, and press on Enter
    • Select your keyboard layout (US, French, etc.) and click on Next
    • Click on Command Prompt to open the command prompt
      Note: If you can't access the Recovery Environment using the F8 method above, you'll need to create a Windows installation or repair media. It can be made on the computer itself or another one running the same version of Windows as the one you plan to use it on. For more information, check out this tutorial on SevenForums.
  • To enter the Recovery Environment with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, follow the instructions in this tutorial on EightForums
    Note: If you can't access the Recovery Environment using the method above, you'll need to create a Windows installation or repair media. It can be made on the computer itself or another one running the same version of Windows as the one you plan to use it on. For more information, check out this tutorial.
  • To enter the Recovery Environment with Windows 10, follow the instructions in this tutorial on TenForums
    Note: If you can't access the Recovery Environment using the method above, you'll need to create a Windows installation or repair media. It can be made on the computer itself or another one running the same version of Windows as the one you plan to use it on. For more information, check out this tutorial on TenForums.
Once in the command prompt
  • In the command prompt, type notepad and press on Enter
  • Notepad will open. Click on the File menu and select Open
  • Click on Computer/This PC, find the letter for your USB Flash Drive, then close the window and Notepad
  • In the command prompt, type e:\frst.exe (for the x64 version, type e:\frst64.exe and press on Enter
  • Note: Replace the letter e with the drive letter of your USB Flash Drive
  • FRST will open
  • Click on Yes to accept the disclaimer
  • Click on the Scan button and wait for it to complete
  • A log called frst.txt will be saved on your USB Flash Drive. Post it in your next reply

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,762 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users