Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cobaltpink

cobaltpink

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

Good Morning, 

I am troubleshooting a HP laptop, (Motherboard specs) product = 82BD, Version, 11.08 and a single SSD with a limit of 28 GB. The laptop's Disk space is completely filled up and I ran the Disk Cleanup utility, got rid of unnecessary user files and compressed the rest, however that only freed up very little space. My ultimate goal is to be able to install a brother printer and its drivers on said laptop. Any recommendations? In my personal opinion I believe the person should get a better computer. 

Thank You

cobaltpink

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2018 - 01:28 PM.
Moved from Backup/Imaging to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:53 PM

This sounds like an HP Stream. What I did with one of these that did not have enough room to do a Win 10 update was use a Live Linux USB to format the drive NTFS then use another USB with the Win 10 installer to install Win 10.

You need to download any version of Linux, Mint is as good as any. The file comes down as an ISO and you will need to use Rufus ( from Akeo ) to create a bootable USB drive. You will also need to download a copy of the WIN 10 installer ISO, and use Rufus to create a second bootable USB. Then boot the Linux from the USB - you may need to change the boot order to do this - and let it run to the desktop. Do NOT click 'Install' at any stage, it will run in RAM. Then open the file manager, select the hard drive and select 'Format.. Once the drive is blank shut the computer down and repeat with the Windows installer.

NOTE. This procedure will delete any applications installed and all data created. Back up the data before starting and make a note of any installed applications as well.

You should finish up with about 15 - 18 GB of space after doing this and before re-installing applications and replacing data. And i don't necessarily disagree with your last point !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 cobaltpink

cobaltpink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

This completely slipped my mind, Thank You!

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

"...compressed the rest..."  Please tell me what you did, I want to learn from you.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 July 2018 - 08:28 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

Why do you need linux at all, just do a Clean Install right?  Choose Custom, Delete all partitions from the top down and install.  Then use an SD card to store data and or programs also.

@Chris, or are you saying to install to One Partition instead of the Standard four to save a little more space?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

Yeah this is why you should never buy a sub $300 laptop, most are crap unless its a refurb

This is why i got a hp probook 6470b laptop for $100 on craigslist, it may be older but has far more space capability than most modern sub $300 laptops.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users