Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD's while surfing, watching movies, etc., but NOT when gaming.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 t1ntoretto

t1ntoretto

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:23 AM

Hello there,

I am having problems with my PC for more than a year now and cannot figure out what’s wrong on my own and would love to get some help on pinning down the problem and in the best case solve it. ;)

I am getting BSOD’s (mostly “Kernel Security Check Failure” and sometimes others like “IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal”). They come at (for me) unpredictable intervals, sometimes 5 minutes after startup, sometimes it can take an hour before the BSOD appears, but there are exceptions:

• The problem is for me unclear whether if it is connected to any certain PC usage. The BSOD’s happen when using a browser to surf the net, when watching movies using VLC, or simply when idle for a few seconds/minutes with only the desktop showing.
  • The funny thing is though, that I can predict when it wil NOT happen. When I play a game like Battlefield 1 or Rainbow 6 Siege, the BSOD will NOT occur. I can play them for hours straight without getting the BSOD even once.
  • This does not apply for every game. I sometimes play a simple Hasbro-PC-game Clue, during which the BSOD will appear.

Now that I have more time on my hands I am trying to figure out the problem. Some weeks/months ago I tried renewing all my drivers and getting rid of programs I didn’t use anymore. I also did some checks then, which turned up with nothing, or when they did the repairs did not solve the problem.

The Windows Diagnostics/System Events do show there was a problem, but I cannot seem to understand what is going on through those reports.

Today I stumbled upon the Bleeping Computer-site/forum and have tried some of the tips which did not solve it yet, so I have started this topic hoping someone can help and walk it through with me.

Is there someone who can figure out or help me figure out what is going on?

Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nHhPZXSJ30EvIHlJIWdsySB

Attached Files

Edited by t1ntoretto, 18 July 2018 - 09:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

Hi. . .

You only have 4 Windows Updates installed. Go to Windows Update in Control Panel and check for Windows Updates. Install ALL that are available. If any fail, give them another go. It may take several tries to get them all installed.

All outstanding Windows Updates must be installed before we can go any further. It is really a waste of time to try and fix problems on a non-updated system. The Windows Updates that you are missing could very well contain updates for files that Windbg is listing as the probable cause of your BSODs. Only Windows Updates can patch Microsoft kernel mode drivers.

I see that you have page files on drive c: and drive e: Is there any particular reason for this? It's best to check the box on the page file screen to allow Windows to manage page files for all drives.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 t1ntoretto

t1ntoretto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

Hello jcgriff2,

Thanks for your quick reply. I did indeed have 1 update that got installed when I checked for windows updates. And I changed the page files-settings like you suggested. I think I set that to drive C and E a long time ago, to save room on the other drives, but when the advice is to leave them alone/set them to "managed by system" I wont hesitate to change that back, so I did. :)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and I will notice the upcoming days if it is getting better. I will get back to you here to tell you about it.

Kind regards,

Tim

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

Hi. . .

You can run Driver Verifier in the interim. If D/V flags a 3rd party driver, it will force a BSOD and <hopefully> name the driver.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576333/driver-verifier-bsod-related-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If no 3rd party driver is named in a VERIFIER_ENABLED BSOD, then we're looking at unknown hardware failure.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#5 t1ntoretto

t1ntoretto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:10 AM

Hello jcgriff2,

Just to be complete, I still encountered the BSOD’s as mentioned before.

So I ran driver verifier as you suggested, following the instructions in the link.And I think you/we are on to something here, because when rebooting I immediately encountered a BSOD after logging in (Driver_verifier_detected_violation).

Although it is a different message than the Verifier Enabled-message, I attached the minidump file to this message anyway. I attached the last three, just to be sure/complete.

(There are probably more dump’s because I had problems with creating/restoring from restore point. I eventually reset the driver verifier to get out of the BSOD loop after logging in.)

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Attached Files

#6 t1ntoretto

t1ntoretto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

Just curious if someone has some time to look at my last reply:

Hello jcgriff2,

Just to be complete, I still encountered the BSOD’s as mentioned before.

So I ran driver verifier as you suggested, following the instructions in the link.And I think you/we are on to something here, because when rebooting I immediately encountered a BSOD after logging in (Driver_verifier_detected_violation).

Although it is a different message than the Verifier Enabled-message, I attached the minidump file to this message anyway. I attached the last three, just to be sure/complete.

(There are probably more dump’s because I had problems with creating/restoring from restore point. I eventually reset the driver verifier to get out of the BSOD loop after logging in.)

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

#7 t3dus

t3dus

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

Have you looked at your dump files yet? I did and it looks like ndisrd.sys is the cause of the crash. There is more information on it at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xc4--driver-verifier-detected-violation 

Attached File  dump.PNG   172.22KB   0 downloads

I'm still looking into what all this means but I find most BSOD issues happen from faulty hardware or driver issues.

#8 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

Hi. . .

2 of the 3 VERIFIER_ENABLED dumps flagged the driver ndisrd.sys.

From the DRT - https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=ndisrd.sys

Whichever it is, either uninstall the software or update the software. The former will definitely end the BSODs caused by ndisrd.sys; the latter may also end the BSODs, but there is no guarantee.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users