Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding my laptop charger...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andre_Castillo14

Andre_Castillo14

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

First, I don't know if I should post this question in the External Hardware category or Internal Hardware, so I think I'll post it here. Second, I noticed my Laptop's charger pin is getting warm. I had this Laptop and its charger for the past 2 years with no issues and I use it for 3D modelling and graphics demanding games.

I just noticed today, that the laptop's charger pin was hot, but not hot that it can burn my skin, but hot that it felt like another person's skin, after a session of using Blender. Since the laptop is almost 2 years old, I'm worried that my laptop's charger might be over-stressed with the task of 3D Rendering. I do have a habit of leaving my chargers plugged into the wall, except for the laptop charger. Every time I know I'm gonna be gone from my room for more than 5 minutes, I unplug the charger from the wall and laptop, to sort-of let it 'rest'.

As of the time of the writing of this post, the laptop charger is currently plugged in and charging the laptop. It's currently only slightly warmer than my computer mouse, with the laptop not doing anything resource intensive. There has been no issues regarding charging(no sudden disconnections, or battery errors of any form).

I did read around Google that a warm laptop charger is fine, especially when the laptop is being charged and used at the same time. But since I use my laptop for 3D Renders, mine might be different.

It might help to say that the Charger Port is next to the Laptop's Exhaust, where most of the heat are in an Alienware 17R3.

Please tell me if I'm just being paranoid(Not an exaggeration)

Edited by Andre_Castillo14, 18 July 2018 - 09:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:36 AM

It looks like you're meaning the DC plug connection into the body of the laptop, which can become somewhat warm, and if it is located as you say adjacent to the cooling air exhaust, then it's likely to be warmed a little by that also. From your description it doesn't sound like a problem to me, although one thing does sound unusual. When you speak about unplugging if you're out of the room for more than 5 minutes, do you mean you are repeatedly plugging and unplugging both the mains and DC plugs while the laptop is operating? If that's what you're saying, the plug might simply be getting worn and having a weaker contact internally, which can make it heat up more than it would when new and making strong contact.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:38 AM

personally i think you are worrying way too much

#4 Andre_Castillo14

Andre_Castillo14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:03 AM

It looks like you're meaning the DC plug connection into the body of the laptop, which can become somewhat warm, and if it is located as you say adjacent to the cooling air exhaust, then it's likely to be warmed a little by that also. From your description it doesn't sound like a problem to me, although one thing does sound unusual. When you speak about unplugging if you're out of the room for more than 5 minutes, do you mean you are repeatedly plugging and unplugging both the mains and DC plugs while the laptop is operating? If that's what you're saying, the plug might simply be getting worn and having a weaker contact internally, which can make it heat up more than it would when new and making strong contact.

Yes, I unplug it from both the Laptop and Wall Plugs, while the laptop is operating and has an almost full battery, I only leave it plugged when I leave if the battery is almost drained. The Charger's Pin is still holding in firmly at the port, I was very careful not to apply any kind of force that can make it loose or break the connection inside( A lesson I learned after the 20 USB cables I broke)

personally i think you are worrying way too much

Yeah, I need to calm down a bit, until a problem actually arrives.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:14 AM

Yes, I unplug it from both the Laptop and Wall Plugs, while the laptop is operating and has an almost full battery

No point doing that, just wears the plugs. And possibly shortens battery life slightly, if it's a Lithium battery, which have a relatively fixed number of charge/discharge cycles governing their lifespan. You're best to let the battery fully charge, charging will then stop, lightening the load on the charger. Continually doing partial discharge and recharges when you don't really need to is just making the charger work a little harder and using up battery charge cycles.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Andre_Castillo14

Andre_Castillo14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:22 AM

Yes, I unplug it from both the Laptop and Wall Plugs, while the laptop is operating and has an almost full battery

No point doing that, just wears the plugs. And possibly shortens battery life slightly, if it's a Lithium battery, which have a relatively fixed number of charge/discharge cycles governing their lifespan. You're best to let the battery fully charge, charging will then stop, lightening the load on the charger. Continually doing partial discharge and recharges when you don't really need to is just making the charger work a little harder and using up battery charge cycles.

I see what you're talking about, I'll do that. Thanks for explaining that bit, might help my battery and charger last for more longer now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users