Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Publisher to PDF issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 k3mpy

k3mpy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:45 AM

Hi Guys,

I’m Looking for advice regarding PDF’s.

For years I've created artwork on 'Publisher' (I’m not very computer savvy, so haven’t changed with the times), then saved the finished artwork as a commercial PDF, sent it off to be printed and everything's been fine (posters/banners/leaflets/signs/t-shirts/car decals etc). So this week, I tried to do the same for a 'Wide Roller Banner' (2m x 1.5m). Over 2 or 3 days, I created the artwork using dozens of photos and am happy with it, but the file is so massive that publisher can't save it as a PDF (I've found that ‘PrimoPDF’ seems to work, but (even though I ask it to save as 1 page) it only seems to want to save it as 56 A4 pages, rather than 1 150cm x 200cm page.

So, my questions are;

1) Any ideas for how I could convert the file to a single page PDF and keep it commercial print quality / know of any PDF writers that would allow me to do it..?

2) Any other ideas you might have..?

The ‘Publisher’ file in question is 179MB.

Please remember to write any replies, as if talking to an idiot (or I won't understand! Thanks for your help...

K3mpy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:33 AM

What version of MS-Publisher are you using?

It should be no problem at all to save a 179MB .pub file as a PDF.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 k3mpy

k3mpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:46 AM

Whichever version is in Microsoft Office 15..?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

What resolution (DPI) are you using for the final artwork? It will be put into a PDF as an image, and a 2m x 1.5m image is going to be enormous, unless you specify a modest DPI.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 k3mpy

k3mpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

just 300dpi - the 56 page pdf version came out at about 5.5MB... Just can't get it to save/print to pdf as 1 page

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

A 5.5MB PDF isn't going to contain the resolution you're specifying - a 24bit color depth 300DPI image that size contains nearly a gigabyte of data, no compression is going to bring it down to 5.5MB

I don't think PrimoPDF is doing what it appears to be doing - I understand it implements creation profiles, it seems likely you should be using the Prepress profile rather than, say, the Print profile?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

Whichever version is in Microsoft Office 15..?

When you fire up Publisher (or any of the Office programs) you get a splash screen that tells you what version, e.g., Micosoft Word 2010.

There are few of us who memorize the underlying Office folder structure which is where the numbers like 14 or 15, etc., come in.

Also, Platypus's observation is worth having a look at, though I don't know how the PDF result of a 179MB pub file could be many orders of magnitude larger than the entire source file is, regardless of the physical size layout of the contents of the publisher file itself.  I've got an awful lot of publisher files for things like business cards, rack cards, and window banners that I've converted to PDF and some of them come out smaller than the source file, while others are slightly larger.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

Could this be a problem with the default page size in the conversion process ?  If, as I think, you live in Europe the default page size is going to be A4. Try choosing 'Custom' and setting it to your desired 2m x 1.5m.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 k3mpy

k3mpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

Hi Chris,

I did set the page size to 'Custom' in the beginning, but it made no difference. I even ended up sending the 'Publisher' file to a professional company that say they can convert files up to 2 gb, but they couldn't do it... So I gave up and removed 40 of the photos from the artwork (the artwork then only had 10 photos instead of 50), same size page though, 200cm x 150cm and it saved it as a perfect commercial pdf instantly....

Looks like, if I want to do the same sort of thing in the future, I'll have to learn how to use 'Illustrator' or something...

Thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users