Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you help me restore my Desktop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mellechman

mellechman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:29 AM

Hi everyone!

I have done something stupid with my Desktop folder and I’m wondering if you can help me put it to right.

My desktop folder was located on a drive called E:\, in a subfolder called “users” etc. The usual deal.

Stupidly, I moved it out of this subfolder and onto the root folder, so to speak, of the drive. Since then it seems as though the root folder of E:\ IS my dektop. Everything on drive E:\ appears, as shortcuts, on my dektop, I  mean the one I see on my screen. What’s worse, I can’t move the dektop to another location, like onto another drive. I have tried, and it comes up with an error saying something like “files cannot be moved because they’re locked”. If I try to put desktop back where it was, it says something like "parent cannot be moved into a subfolder". 

Okay, I know I was stupid J but what can I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Platypus, 18 July 2018 - 02:28 AM.
Deleted duplicate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:32 AM

Hi mellechman

I trust I'm on the right path here

1. Open file explorer, enter: shell:UsersFilesFolder in the address bar

2. Right click Desktop and open Properties

3. Select the Location tab; select Restore Default

4. Select Apply; Select OK

Please let us know if this resolves your issue

Old Rocker

#3 mellechman

mellechman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for trying to help me, but unfortunately your fix did not work, quite simply because when I opened explorer and typed shell:UsersFilesFolder there was no desktop folder to be seen. 

Thankfully, I had asked the same question in Microsoft Community and I was advised to do a registry fix, which I did and this solved the problem. 

For future reference, here is the fix: 

Click your Start Button, type regedit and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor

Navigate to this Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

On the right your will see Desktop

Double click that to set its value

The default location for Desktop is:

%USERPROFILE%\Desktop

You should set that value, then close the Registry Editor

Restart your PC

Your Desktop folder will no be back in its original location

You might have to manually move files from where you moved that folder to back into the Desktop folder

Then if you intend to move that folder again, please remember to specify a folder like D:\Desktop and you should be Okay !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users