Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to determine best possible graphics card for motherboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

Hi,

My son's gaming computer is a bunch of hand-me-down parts I've used to upgrade when necessary.

It is time to give him a better machine in total, but not a good time financially.

So... I am wondering how to determine the best GPU I can buy for his very old MB.

It is a Biostar TA785GE 128M   (please don't laugh, I know all this tech is very old)  ;)

He currently has an old XFX 7750 and has been playing games as new as Battlefront II, until today he noticed a real slowdown.

Yes, I know issues don't happen suddenly like that but I need to figure out a new card for him anyway.

I wish the link to the specs had a tab for "GPU Support" like it does for CPU and memory.

I really appreciate the help.

Edited by TNF, 17 July 2018 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

Its not the motherboard, its the processor where the point of contention is

That motherboard should be able to take most modern GPU's as PCI express is backwards compatible, but i would not pair it with anything too high end

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:29 PM

I have a Phenom II 965 x4 sitting around, I was going to throw that in also.  I know it's better than the dual core he is using.

I do not know how much that will gain him, if any.  I know that is almost the max the MB can run.  I also know that whatever I do now, is only good for a short time.  He will probably get into games that will require more... which is why I plan to buy or build something current for him soon as I can, but in the meantime he was just wanting to continue playing his Battlefront II.

So for the GPU, anything that is PCI-E 2.0 x16 will work?   I know if I use 3.0 it will only run like the 2.0, but I was concerned that I am missing something and didn't want to buy something that just wouldn't work.

I'm rusty.. haven't built any in a while.. so I appreciate the help.

I guess now I just research to see what is better than the 7750, that is also inexpensive.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:35 PM

Well the only issue is that some graphics cards use UEFI which is a more modern bios so you would have to be careful on what you get but yes anything you can get now would be transferable to a new machine. You don't have to build anything too expensive of course keep it under say a $600 budget is possible

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Tallgeese3

Tallgeese3

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:38 AM

The only advice I can offer is try game-debate.com   . You can use the " can my computer run this game" feature and enter in your comp specs and it will give you a graph detailing your comp specs comparatively to minimum/recommended specs as well as a recommended graphics card if your current one is causing a bottleneck. From there I would just plug in different cards you are thinking about and see how well they rate gameplay wise and then determine whats best in your price range as well as compatible with your particular build.

#6 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

Well the only issue is that some graphics cards use UEFI which is a more modern bios so you would have to be careful on what you get but yes anything you can get now would be transferable to a new machine. You don't have to build anything too expensive of course keep it under say a $600 budget is possible

Yea, I don't plan on getting anything too new, simply because of cost. 

Carrying forward, depending on what I get, is something I'll keep in my mind.

Thanks again.

#7 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

The only advice I can offer is try game-debate.com   . You can use the " can my computer run this game" feature and enter in your comp specs and it will give you a graph detailing your comp specs comparatively to minimum/recommended specs as well as a recommended graphics card if your current one is causing a bottleneck. From there I would just plug in different cards you are thinking about and see how well they rate gameplay wise and then determine whats best in your price range as well as compatible with your particular build.

Good idea actually.  We use "can I run it?" sometimes, but I was unaware of this site you mentioned.

I will definitely go there.

Thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users