Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several problems with Lenovo Legion Y520 after upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AspiringSomeone

AspiringSomeone

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:20 PM

I'll try to mention everything I did in detail in case it helps and since I don't know what is relevant or not...

So this gaming laptop comes with 8 GB RAM and I wanted to get another stick of 8 GB. I look up the same kind that is already there cause I know those usually work best with it, and order it. When I get it, I get into the laptop and install the memory. AFAIK I didn't do anything wrong here. I slid it into the bracket/slot at an angle and then pushed it down to where it snapped neatly into place. I even looked at a tutorial video and did just what they did. Put the square cover back on too.

I then put the casing back on and boot up the laptop. I notice I get a "Scanning and repairing drive (C:)" screen come up, and for like over 10 minutes it was stuck at 16%. Right about when I was going to try to restart it or troubleshoot, it finally went up to 100% and then I get to my usual login screen.

However, when it prompts me for my pin, I notice the keyboard doesn't seem to work. There's no input from the keys I press onto the screen. I then notice the bottom part of the casing was not completely closed flush and one of the screws was at an odd angle; I thought maybe because of that there was some issue with the keyboard. I then corrected this and the noticed now a bunch of random characters were showing up in the password/pin box, like 666666 repeating on and on and on or other random letters and numbers, which I couldn't delete with the keyboard. I decide to shut down and start up the computer again. After an unusually long wait I get to the login screen again, and again typing things on the keyboard makes nothing show up there.

Note that my mouse and click have no problem and can click on things on screen fine.

I then clicked on the On-Screen Keyboard to see if that does anything and a white empty box comes up, with the loading cursor constantly on. It's been 10 minutes and I can't even close or X out of that now.

Could I have really screwed up this computer?? I'm kind of worried here. I had a lot of important data that I didn't back up on there.

---

EDIT- I found an old USB keyboard that I had in a closet and plugged it in, and that was able to work now. So I logged in. The problem seems to be mainly the (built in) keyboard for now, but I'll see if anything else is wrong.

Edited by AspiringSomeone, 17 July 2018 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

Hi, I suspect you got the RAM install correct, what you may have done is move or damage some other component when inside the machine, you did make sure the power was off and the battery was removed, and you properly earthed yourself, didn't you. Maybe as you appear to be inexperienced, take it to a repair shop have them check it out for you. 

EDIT:- usually if you take your machine to a local repair shop and purchase the Ram from them, they will fit it for you and then test it works. I recommend this to any inexperienced user, noting how the tech does it, will educate you on how to do it yourself next time... at least this happens in Aus.

Edited by jenae, 17 July 2018 - 11:34 PM.

#3 AspiringSomeone

AspiringSomeone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:29 PM

Damn, the only thing I didn't do was ground/earth myself I guess. I forgot about that step. Didn't notice any ESD but that wouldn't necessarily be noticeable would it? I've taken apart my desktops before and never had a problem with that though. 

As an update, for the most part the system seems to be working okay but the built in keyboard still doesn't work. I also noticed some really random issues even when using my USB keyboard. Like when in a folder saving a file and entering a name for it, I noticed simply pushing the Shift button results in strange output, C:/PerfLogs" a few times. Meaning I have to use caps lock to put caps on anything. But this doesn't seem to happen in other situations. I noticed when editing some text or notebook docs, the find function randomly pops up with some gibberish in the box. Something's definitely funky here...

Edited by AspiringSomeone, 18 July 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#4 AspiringSomeone

AspiringSomeone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

Things started getting progressively weirder, to the point where I couldn't even X out of many things or shut down normally. I finally took it apart again and checked the RAM installation to see if it was secure. It was. But I think the square cover for the RAM section was placed ever so slightly off (it was hard to see well at the time) and may have been pressing on something else, possibly disrupting effective communication or power supply to the peripheral components. Everything seems to work fine now.

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

Hi, well you learnt a lot, be careful, and like a surgeon always check your work before you sow the patient up. I never touch laptops, my hands (fingers) are far too large for the fiddly jobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users