Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Starting Up Automatically

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hank3366

hank3366

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:31 AM

Can someone help.For the last 6 months my computer is starting up by itself every day at the same time.I can not find anything that would cause this.It is driving me crazy.I am on a dialup system for internet and am not sharing this computer with anyone.Please help if you can.
Thank you :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

Try this free, online scan of your system: http://safety.live.com/
If it comes up clean, then we can try some other stuff to get at the root of this.

Most likely cause is spyware trying to phone home. Next most likely is a legitimate program trying to phone home. The safest course for you is to unplug the phone line when you're not using the computer (until we get this sorted out).

You can install a free software firewall - such as the last freeware edition of Sygate Personal Firewall, or the free version of Zone Alarm. This will provide an alert when something tries to access the Internet. Since this problem occurs at the same time every day it should be fairly easy to associate it with a particular program.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:22 PM

hi,

in case you have inadvertantly downloaded some auto-dialler spyware, i would definately unplug the phone line when not in use by yourself. there are programmes that can dial premium rate numbers you wont know anything about until the phone bill arrives!

best do the scan mentioned above asap.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:07 AM

Are you shutting the computer down or placing it on hibernate or standby?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users