Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can wireless canon AIO printer handle both mac and windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:26 PM

I'm looking at the Canon MF634Cdw - All-in-One, Wireless, Duplex Laser Printer to replace my broken Brother Ethernet duplex printer. I'm still running mac 10.6.8 waiting for my sister to figure out her HP win 8.1 laptop before attempting to upgrade my mac to el capitan because we need at least one computer able to function and I expect some downtime doing the upgrade. The Canon supposedly works w/ 10.6.7. I would prefer an Ethernet - like the Brother - but everything is wireless now. My sister has her own wireless printer - the HP Office Jet 6960 - which came w/ no manual whatsoever and is not compatible w/ 10.6.8. She can't get it to scan multiple pages into a single pdf but that is another problem.

My question [finally] is will we both be able to use the Canon and will configuration of each computer be fairly automatic.? Per my reading I'll need to download mac drivers from Canon's website but Windows drivers will be on the included CD. I'm used to accessing Ethernet printers' options, settings, etc via their webpage thru my browser altho it's been awhile since I did so.

If anyone has a better recommendation than the Canon - which is said to be expensive to run - I'm looking for a wireless laser printer that can automatically print and scan duplex. The Canon is around $250 and has a 3 year warranty.  The only negatives I have come across is that it's expensive to run [I intend to use non-Canon cartridges - much cheaper, still expensive] and its touch LCD can be a pain to scroll thru. I rarely used the Brother's LCD but I was able to change settings etc from my computer. Hopefully one can do so w/ a wireless printer.

Thanks for any help.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

Provided the printer has drivers for both it shouldn't be an issue.  A wireless printer is essentially a network printer.  As far as computers that print to it, they just send their data to an IP address.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

Thanks kilroy. This printer looks like a good deal w/ the features I want, but I am out of touch w/ the new stuff.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

Indeed it looks like its CUPS compliant so it should be good to go in OSX (and in linux too)

CUPS is the backend that Macs and Linux use for printing so if its there it should work

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users