Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc scannow and dism cannot repair corrupted files

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 trandant

trandant

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

Yesterday I tried to download google chrome from my firefox browser and was met with this error https://imgur.com/ObbOhgg

I have never seen it before so I downloaded it with edge instead installed it without issue and later uninstalled chrome.

I noticed that my firefox then began to act weird. Web pages would randomly not display correctly with elements just missing or the text

all over the place. https://imgur.com/3cKq6yB is what the page https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop looked like.

This happened to maybe 1 out of 50 pages. Hitting the refresh would fix it but this never happened before so I am trying to fix it.

I still get that error every time I try and download chrome and only chrome using firefox.

In an attempt to fix this I uninstalled firefox and the mozilla folders in Appdata local and roaming and reinstalled fresh but nothing fixed it.

I then thought it might be a windows problem so I ran an sfc /scannow and it came back saying that it found corrupt files but could not fix them.

Looked around for what to do next and ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and that also failed 82.8% in with the error 0x800f0950

Also tried use a system restore point and that failed to with an 0x80070005 error.

I am using windows 10 1709 any help is appreciated.

Edited by trandant, 17 July 2018 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:50 PM

Perhaps a failing hard drive?

You could try running chkdsk /r on the drive. Or if you know the hard drive manufacturer you could go to their site and see if they have a utility for testing it. Of course with all that said you may want to start all of this by making sure you have a current backup before proceeding.

#3 trandant

trandant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

My C drive is a samsung 860 evo ssd and I just checked the status of it with magician and that says that it is healthy and running ok.

#4 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:16 PM

Or download Seatools, https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/. It will automatically tell you if the drive is bad or good.

Edited by britechguy, 17 July 2018 - 08:37 PM.

#5 trandant

trandant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

Ran the short drive self test from seatools and got a green pass from that.

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

Hi, no leave the SSD alone, only thing to do with them is use the optimizer with win 10 under disk properties. Chkdsk can be run however the R  parameter is deprecated in win 10 for ssd's, so usually running chkdsk /spotfix is preffered. Chkdsk /f can be run. Make sure the latest version of the ssd firmware is installed.

Run sfc /scannow again, it is sometimes necessary to run it up to three times. You can post the log here for us to see if you like, or google for sfcfix by niemero, it automatically repairs issues.

#7 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

Try this command:   type cmd (command prompt) in the search bar. wait until the blue box pops up above that says "Command Prompt" right click on the blue area, select "run as administrator" click "yes" type this command in the command prompt box.:   Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All

Edited by Mason21, 17 July 2018 - 08:04 PM.

#8 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

I would also suggest typing "windows features" in the search box... make sure that your features have 3.5 enabled like in this snip. 

Attached Files

#9 trandant

trandant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

I did another scannow, this is the log it produced. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KvZsOM060WcS3j7-a4Ks7NDWSS9RKvG3

also checked windows features and I have the 2 .net boxes checked.

Edited by trandant, 17 July 2018 - 08:18 PM.

#10 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

Try using this command from command prompt (as admin)  Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc/scannow&Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc/scannow&pause

If that doesn't work, then you will need to wait on Jenae to get back with you. She knows a lot more than I do about the inner workings of Windows 10

#11 trandant

trandant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:28 PM

Will do, I'll wait for jenaes reply before I run it don't want to be trying a bunch of stuff at once possibly changing things.

#12 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

Ya. She will let you know. This command I gave you doesn't do anything but make sure your Windows image is correct. 

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:39 PM

Hi, I just posted, must of gotten lost in the ether. I was going to say you need to run Dism elevated (as admin), however I see Mason has corrected that in his last post. The sfc log shows nothing seriously wrong and concludes all items were successfully repaired, running the cmd mason posted will not hurt although I would have only had you run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth I also saw no reason to repair .net, usually if you have to repair it, an image file is the only way, that cmd (post #8) was written by a MS intern, it never works.

SFC was never a serious MS util, less so now in 10, often you can safely ignore many of the problems it detects, yours are of this nature, although it say's they are repaired.

Edited by jenae, 17 July 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#14 trandant

trandant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

That is reassuring I ran dism before but will do it again. Does that mean that my issue with the strangely loading firefox pages is not caused by a windows problem?

#15 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:01 PM

Hi, open a cmd prompt as admin and copy paste (ALL) this cmd :-

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, please use the "more reply options" to attach the cmd's notepad output to your reply, this will tell us a lot about your system. BTW since the V1803 update, edge is more aggressively wanting to be default browser, checking that your default browser preferences are set is worth it.

Edited by jenae, 17 July 2018 - 09:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users