Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C: Drive on PC Has Been Decreasing for a While Now

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NiTROACTiVE

NiTROACTiVE

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:44 PM

For some time now, the space on my C: drive has been decreasing for some reason. The PC I have is called an iBUYPOWER BB921, which is a gaming PC. I waited over time to see if it would stop or not, but it seems that I won't stop. I also have been installing programs on my biggest drive (the D: drive), but that doesn't stop my C: drive from losing space.

According to the program Folder Size, much of the space comes from the 'Windows' folder, as the folder with the most disk usage is from the 'Installer' folder:

k3ng9g.jpg

From what I read, deleting the 'Installer' folder could screw things up. I also do not have a 'Windows.old' folder on my computer either.

Here are all of the disk drives on my computer:

27zfadk.jpg

What can I do to fix this problem?

Edited by NiTROACTiVE, 17 July 2018 - 01:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

Check the size of your PendingRenames folder---

screenshot_52.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:26 PM

Check the following locations for files:

C:\Windows\Temp

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp

Files in either location should be able to safely be deleted.  If you get an error that the file is in use select to skip the remaining.

#4 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

https://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/13/patchcleaner-remove-orphan-windows-installer-files-to-free-up-disk-space/

#5 NiTROACTiVE

NiTROACTiVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:23 AM

Check the size of your PendingRenames folder---

I checked that folder, and it's only 240 KB.

Check the following locations for files:

C:\Windows\Temp

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp

Files in either location should be able to safely be deleted.  If you get an error that the file is in use select to skip the remaining.

The first folder is only 277 KB, as the second is only 87.8 MB.

Edited by NiTROACTiVE, 18 July 2018 - 01:24 AM.

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:34 AM

Hi, unless you know what you are doing it is not a good idea to remove anything from the windows folder, certainly you should not delete the installer folder (hidden by default) you can move data to any of your internal or external drives (be careful as external drives can be assigned a different drive letter (it is possible to prevent this, however I am certain you don't know how) it is better to do this internally.

Your installer folder is so large because you have moved program files to another drive, this is a job for expert users only and I do not recommend it. it isn't needed, you have plenty of space on your other drives use it. You can save space on c: drive by moving pictures, videos, music data etc etc. 

I think you would be better off if you backed up your data and did a fresh clean install of windows ten. Keep OS files on the c: drive (this includes program files) just move data to the external, or internal extra drives.

You do not (and you should not) use third party tools for this, they are not needed (post #4).

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open, run the following cmd, it opens the advanced disk clean util, check the boxes you want to remove data from (each box has a following description) all boxes can be safely checked, although some you may not want to clean (don't check the box next to an ESD drive).

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

Press enter, select your options and allow to run, be patient and let it run, it can take some time and appear to hang, it will complete, this will remove a lot of unneeded files.

#7 NiTROACTiVE

NiTROACTiVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open, run the following cmd, it opens the advanced disk clean util, check the boxes you want to remove data from (each box has a following description) all boxes can be safely checked, although some you may not want to clean (don't check the box next to an ESD drive).

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

Press enter, select your options and allow to run, be patient and let it run, it can take some time and appear to hang, it will complete, this will remove a lot of unneeded files.

I did that and got some space back, but I'm still around 38.5 GB of free space on my C: drive.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:00 PM

You have a very large hiberfil.sys file of about 6GB. This is used by Windows 10 Fast Startup which I believe you should disable as it can cause problems.

Disable Fast Startup. After disabling open an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key + X. Command prompt as admin. It could be called Powershell.

Type the following commands

powercfg.exe -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Reboot. The above commands remove the hibernation file.

Edit: System Cleanup was done with the command in post #6. You may want to download CCleaner and use the Clean wizard to remove your browser cache and log files. Do not use the registry cleaner. Watch out for any optional installs it asks for.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard

If the computer is an OEM like HP you can also uninstall all the OEM bloat software. In the end it's up to you but I would take jenae's advice and do a clean install after backing up all your data and any license files for your purchased software.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 July 2018 - 02:37 PM.

#9 NiTROACTiVE

NiTROACTiVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:40 PM

It's been over a month since I posted here, but I did what JohnC_21 said a few days ago by turning off Windows 10 Fast Startup, as well as writing those command lines.

However, for two days in a row now, my PC took a while to boot up, as it was stuck on the ASUS boot-up screen. I had to turn it on an off again, and I don't know if it has any relation with turning off fast startup. If it keeps happening, then what should I do?

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:41 AM

You can try Renabling it as a Test and see what happens , but it may be something else.

Try a hard shutdown , unplug Power , hold the the Power Button down for 30 -60 secs , reconnect Power Lead and Boot PC.

As for Space on the C:\ ...you say it has been decreasing ? ...from what to what ? show some Numbers.

Looks like you have about free space 38G of 111G , so what is taking up the 73G used , and you have Programs Installed to the D:\  { Best to leave them on C:\ }.

You must have Personal Data on the C:\ Drive ...Photos , Videos , Torrent s ?? , etc  - so move them to the D Drive.

You can as suggested previously use Ccleaner to remove Temps etc , and System Restore Points.

And then use Disk Cleanup on the C:\ for more and again the More Options.

My Win 10 on C:\ Drive holds the Operating System and nothing else , all Data from Net and Cameras , Phone , goes to my D:\ Drive / Data Folders.

It runs at 28 - 30 Gig and only grows minimally with Windows Updates Monthly , and minor Programs installed but thats it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users