Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Networking Trouble

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kelbrina

Kelbrina

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:38 AM

Hello everyone!

We have three windows 10 computers, one of which acts as a server. We have ~4 other Windows 7 computers on the network. All of the Windows 7 computers can access the Windows 10 computer and its files fine, but the Windows 10 computers all stopped being to see each other abruptly on July 5th. On that day, I also woke up to one of the Windows 7 computers completely dead, figured maybe we had a power surge or something. A lot of the printers were acting weird as well, I think one of my DYMOs is dead as well, just won't print.

Anyhow, I searched high and low on the internet for help for days and couldn't figure out how to get it working. I'm not an expert by any means but I am usually able to resolve most things with my google-fu. I got fed up and called Microsoft who were surprisingly very helpful (and free). I spent about 3 hours on the phone with tech support one night. He gave up. I got escalated to another gentleman, and spent maybe 4-5 hours total on the phone with them. They gave up, escalated me again. The last guy probably spent 10+ hours trying to get the network to work and just gave up yesterday, said he didn't know what else to do. 

I know there's been some networking issues with the 1803 update, but we checked when our 3 windows 10 computers were updated with that and it happened in May, and our issue only abruptly started on July 5th.

The computers can ping each other successfully with IP addresses but not with the computer name. When you try to ping the computer named "server," it tries to ping an IP address that is not the IP address of the server, maybe it's an old one?

I'm at a loss about what to do. I did a windows 10 reset on the server last night to see if it would help maybe - it didn't. I was thinking of just reformatting all 3 windows 10 computers and installing windows 7 but I'm not sure if the components in the computers even have windows 7 drivers or not.

I'd appreciate any help. I feel loss. Seems like a Microsoft prob;em and they just gave up! 

Thank you for your time!

Edited by Kelbrina, 17 July 2018 - 11:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users